Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christian90 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
    New alternator is not charging as it should?
    I have a 98Honda Accord and the alternator has been rebuilt twice and the battery is brand new.
    Its still not charging as it should be.
    What can it be?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 08:05 AM

Corroded firewall connection.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2009, 08:26 AM

Did you buy a rebuilt alternator or take it out and have someone rebuild it for you?

If you purchased a rebuilt assembly, where did you buy it from? While I use NAPA for some parts, I won't sell my customers any of their alternators because the rebuild-quality is definitely lacking.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 08:31 AM

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls the charging system on your vehicle.
    Have you tested the PCM?
    Have you verified battery power to the alternator and solid ground circuits?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 09:02 AM

I enjoy rebuilding alternators. Here's the approach I follow:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post666293

CaptainRich is correct that the ECM controls the voltage regulator on most modern-day vehicles. Usually, however, the problem is with the alternator, not the ECM. I suspect the brushes are too short or the slip rings weren't cleaned properly. It all depends on the quality of the parts and workmanship. Usually, the real problem is something pretty basic. It could certainly be a bad voltage regulator or bad diodes, but that's less likely. Ensure all connections from the alternator to the battery are clean--apply dielectric grease. Check the mega fuse connections between the alternator and the battery, too, after disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

Most auto parts stores will test alternators for free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is mean by Float charging & boost charging? [ 3 Answers ]

Respected sir, I want to know what is mean by battery boost charging And battery float charging? And how it works ? And which one is best for lead acid battery?

1982 dodge truck alternator not fully charging [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working on my 1982 dodge d 150 truck with a 318 and my alternator is not completely charging my battery. It will run for a little bit but when I turn on the lights it dies with in 5 minutes. I replaced the alternator then took it back and had it checked, it was good. I noticed tha the...

Alternator maybe [ 5 Answers ]

This morning the Toyota echo barely turned over. Was running OK the day before.. put the battery charger on it. Starts OK. But had similar problem in 2005. Alternator Was bad and was replaced. Could the alternator go bad that fast? No warning lights. Had the same problem in 2005. Alternator...

Chevy pickup alternator charging problems [ 2 Answers ]

My chevy pick up battery went dead I replace for a brand new but the battery was not charging by the alternator so I pulled the alternator and I went to the shop to see if is was working and it was working good. The problem was that the alternator was not charging so What I did that night I put A...

Alternator removal [ 1 Answers ]

What's the best way to actually get the alternator out of a '90 honda civic?

View more questions Search