Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jorgepino Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Lead pipe to Iron Pipe leaking
    What would make more sense to fix the hole in the pipe or to replace the whole pipe
    At this time I open to all sugestion
    Attached Images

csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Apr 1, 2009, 07:01 PM

Looks like its time to pick that lead out and install a rubber fernco donut that will go from 4 inch cast iron to 4 inch sch 40 pvc pipe..
    Normally the lead would be a drain for the toilet?

Where does the lead bend go to?

The old lead will come out very easy and after you clean the hub on the cast iron 1/8 bend the fernco donut will fit inside the 1/8 bend just like the lead.

Then you can install the sch 40 pvc and you should be set.

If you have any more questions I will try and help.

Apr 2, 2009, 04:09 AM

The lead bend goes to a toilet.

csavage1: Thanks so much for you help

May 2, 2009, 01:16 PM

Finally I had the time to start the project,
    I was able to remove the lead out off the iron pipe but now
    I am having problem with installing the rubber fernco donut that will go from 4 inch cast iron,
    I try putting first and then putting PVC pipe but it it too tide and if I try to installed the donut with the pipe I have the same problem, I did lubricate the rubber donut, but I does not seem to be working any trick I should be aware off?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 2, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Jorgepino... check the pipe and the fitting... see if you can see an SV or an XH... If SV is present then the donut you have should work fine with some lube and pushing. The big TRICK here is to BEVEL the end of the pipe using a grinder... see picture.

If XH is present then you will need a 4" XH donut... ;)

Otherwise, you could also purchase some SOIL SEAL or PLASTIC SEAL (see picture... available at all home improvement stores) and install that per manufacturer's recommendation... let me know if need more info. On this... OK? This stuff works great for an exposed joint like in this case.

MARK
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2009, 04:50 PM
    I agree with Savage and Mark and I are posting on top of each other again,
    Purchase a can of Duel-Tite Lubricant and slather it on the gasket to fit it in the hub. (you diid clean the hub off didn't you? ) At the same time pickup a 4" PVC Closet Bend(see image) . Inserting the donut in the cast iron hub was the easy part. Cast iron's hard enough to get in the donut but PVC's going to be harder. Back in the 80's I was roughing in condos with donuts, ( I hated them) Let me tell you how I shoved PVC into a cast iron hub using a dsonut.
    First make your measure from the base of the hub to the center of the hole in the floor , which should be 11 1/2 or 12 inches off the eall to the center of the hole. If you have to cut the closet bend to fit make your cut. Now, take a file and bevel the edge of the PVC on a 45 degree until it's smooth. NO ROUGH EDGES! Nexttake a sharp knife and bevel the inside edge of the donut back three or four ribs.
    Slather the inside of the donut and the outside of the PVC with lubricant.
    Start the PVC in the donut. You're not going to push it in with your bare hands.
    We used a Johnson bar for leverage. You can use a 4 to 6 foot 2 X 4.
    Making sure the fitting isn't cocked and perfectly straight proceed to lever that sucker in until it bottoms out in the hub.

And here Savage made it sound so easy,
    after you clean the hub on the cast iron 1/8 bend the fernco donut will fit inside the 1/8 bend just like the lead. Then you can install the sch 40 pvc and you should be set
    now you know why I hated to work with them and was just overjoyed when we went to No-Hub. Good luck and let me know how you make out. Tom

As a added note, Another option would be Soil Seal. That might just be your easiest way to go. I would pack, (and I mean drive it in) the joint with oakum and seal it with Soil Seal. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old cast iron pipe joints leaking [ 1 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1925 -- cast iron waste pipe and stack going to roof. Last several years, we've had a problem with sewer smell. Removed sections of several walls, found almost the stack joints seem to be leaking -- smell, but no liquid, ever. The lead seal is pushed up and separated from...

Leaking cast iron waste pipe [ 3 Answers ]

First, my thanks to those who answered my last question. I epoxied the pipe and covered it with mastik. Still a few small drips but I think another coat will fix the problems. Sink drains fine, tub drains fine, toilet is the one that causes the drips. My thinking is that the waste pipe has a...

Toilet Install w/ Lead Sleave & Cast Iron Pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new toilet. The original construction had a sub floor, which has been removed by the previous owner. Rather than properly seating the flange on the concrete floor, he put tile grout under it to compensate for the wood sub floor that was removed. The old toilet was sitting about...

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

View more questions Search