Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnpn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Start up screen don't load
    The start up screen stays black, last time I waited for a hour and it was still black... I need help. I have window vista and it's a dell.. before the start up screen everything loads the right way
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Apr 1, 2009, 03:05 PM

Start Windows in Safe Mode by tapping the "F8" key until you are given various ways to start Windows, choose Safe Mode. The following site explains how to remove programs from starting up with Vista:

How to configure your startup programs | Windows Vista for Beginners

To verify if the programs listed under the Startup tab are required or not, go to:

Task List Programs - AnswersThatWork's famous Database of Windows Task Manager Processes, Windows Startup Items, XP Services, Vista Services, Process List

Startup programs - Intro, Identifying, Disabling, Comprehensive List

Regarding Vista not starting, check out masterdoko masterdoko's post at:

Vista - Black Screen - First Restart/Reboot - Tech Support Guy Forums

Check out the following for more information:

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions - Windows Vista Help
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Apr 1, 2009, 04:15 PM

My Dell Inspiron 530 came with several CD's containing the software & drivers loaded on the PC. Locate the CD containing the Operating System. Read all notes on the fron & back of the CD wrapper. With the PC on but not necessarily operaring correctly, insert the CD on tot DVD drive. Power off then wait about 15 seconds. Upon the next power-on, the PC should boot from the CD (it may give you an option) & walk you through reloading your operating system software. You will need the license key mentioned on the CD wrapper.

Apr 1, 2009, 08:06 PM

Am guessing that you don't have the license key. That could be a problem. To replace a product key, locate the appropriate telephone number by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:

Help and Support

You might want to try using Recover Keys available from:

Recover Lost Product CD Keys for Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, Office, SQL, Exchange - CD-Key Retrieve

1. Make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS, or enter your SETUP and set it to boot from CD as the first boot device.

2. Start the PC

3. Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5. Press Any key to start the booting process

6. A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7. After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8. You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9. After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10. Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11. At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12. The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13. Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14. You are now presented with the following set of recovery options

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
    * System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
    * Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
    * Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
    * Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

15. Click on STARTUP REAPIR follow the onscreen prompts

If you do not have the VISTA CD and it is pre-installed on the computer then do this:

1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4. In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

From: Windows Vista will not start up - Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Apr 1, 2009, 08:11 PM

Did some more searching, came up with the following:

You can find your lost cd key from your own registry with the steps below:

(This procedure does not work for any version of Windows past Windows Me, Microsoft got more secretive with your software, one more time.)

Make the CD code to unlock software reappear. (Here's the article verbatim) You just think you lost that CD key code, which is imprinted on the software's box or in the documentation and permits you to reinstall the program.

You won't have to call a support line and wait hours for a tech to regurgitate that lost code for you, it's not really lost. Windows saved it in a cubbyhole called the Registry.

Don't play around while you go through these steps, though. Deleting some Registry files can cause massive headaches.

And it's always best to follow your manual's instructions and back up the registry before starting.

Here's the procedure:

·Launch REGEDIT by selecting Start/Run, typing REGEDIT in the text box and pressing Enter.

·Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click on the + and scroll down to Software.

·Find the Microsoft listing click on it, and look for the directory that contains software you need to reinstall.

·Double-click the Product ID listing and select the middle two number strings. For example, in the string 53491-460-1656111-49145, you'd select 460-1656111. (for Office 97) One more thing, add a 1 to the first 3 numbers, 4601-1656111, as the product ID has 11 numbers. Hope this works for you!

*To find the Windows CD Key: find Windows, click the "current version" with the + sign, don't click the +sign, click on the words "current version". The product ID and the product key will appear. It's all the numbers and letters that you see.

· Highlight, Press Control C to copy the CD key to the clipboard, then paste it someplace where you can reuse it. Some experts advise compiling all your keys to a text document, then printing it out for safekeeping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't get past the load screen [ 2 Answers ]

I have a compaq presario hp media center computer. My problem is that at first I got to the desktop and got stuck there. I was not able to open any folder or any thing not even the start menu. I have tried to start in safe mode but wouldn't start. Now when I turn on the computer it starts the...

Start up screen [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a HP printer scanner. Now, whenever I start up the computer, instead of going to desktop, it goes to a Microsoft screen saying: To begin, click your user name The (my name) 55 unread messages 5 programs running Turn off your computer After you log on, you can add...

Blank screen at start-up [ 2 Answers ]

At each cold start, the screen remains blank. Only after two restarts or resets, screen comes up and everything works correctly.? Have put in another videocard (GF2) and then monitor display came up at first try. Then tried my videocard (GF4Ti4200) in another PC and worked properly as well....

Remove log in screen at W98 start [ 1 Answers ]

When W98 starts up there is that annoying, useless sign screen, I know there is a way to remove that , because I had removed before years ago, but I forgot how, does somebody know?

Blank screen at start up [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I recently swopped hardware of a P133 PC with that of a P200 PC. What I really changed was the processor of the p200 and move a hard/dr from a P100. After connected properly, the screen just became blank. I have checked the memory modules, the h/d and all. Could the processors be dead? But...

View more questions Search