Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pugdom Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Spacer group
    What is meant by a spacer group ? And why are they used in relation between the molecule and its ability to bind to a receptor site ?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 10:19 AM

Sometimes to inprove the fit of a ligand to the docking site a spacer group is used. It is used to make the parts of the molecule which bind the active site sit in better positions. Sometimes a spacer group can also be used so that you can increase the ligand- receptor site interactions by extending into a part of the receptor site that could not be reached before.

Does this make sense? If not I'll try and explain it better.
    pugdom Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 02:05 PM

A little bit... But why is the -ch2- group often used... Is there any particular reason ? That this particular group is favourable ?

Thanks
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 01:30 PM

It's kind of a middle of the road group, its not particularly hydrophobic like a ring group, it's pretty small, it's not polar and it's a pretty easy group to synthesis onto your compound.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Group - A & Group-T shares [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to know what are Group-A shares & Group-T shares and what we mean by that. On what basis this groupings are done

Installing Oatey Closet Flange Spacer [ 4 Answers ]

I just purchased a couple of Oatey Closet Flange Spacers to install over a toilet flange. The old flange is too low after installing a new floor and will require two 1/2" spacers. How do you install these? There are no gaskets so how do I seal between each of the spacers and the old flange. Thanks.

Closet flange spacer kit installation [ 1 Answers ]

How do you install an Oatey closet flange spacer

How do I attach closet flange spacer over old flange [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a new tile floor in my bathroom, and in doing so, raised the level of the floor. I went out and purchased a closet flange spacer kit and it came with the spacer and two rubber gaskets. I need to know how to attaché these. So I put the first gasket on, then the spacer, then do I...

View more questions Search