Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sally49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Replacing Moen cartridge and it's not coming out.
    Hello,
    We were trying to replace the Moen single handle cartridge and trying to remove it with the remover only the inside came out. The outer shell would not budge from the faucet. The part is the original which is from the 70's. Very frustrating, especially for my son who was trying to replace it.
    Thanks
    Sally 49
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally49 View Post
    Hello,
    We were trying to replace the Moen single handle cartridge and trying to remove it with the remover only the inside came out. The outer shell would not budge from the faucet. The part is the original which is from the 70's. Very frustrating, especially for my son who was trying to replace it.
    Thanks
    Sally 49
    That's not good! What I would do in a situation like that is grt something inside the barrel that binds and try to twist the barrel. All that's holding it is the "o" rings that have swelled against the valve body. If you can get it to turn and break the bond you can work it out. As a last resort you could try to drill it out. Good luc k, Tom
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Mar 31, 2009, 04:54 PM

Moen cartridge halfway out.
    There are numerous tools on the market for getting this inside part out. If you have a small plumbing store in your area (not a hardware store) they will probably have some and tell you how to use it. If not get back to me and I will explain more. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Darrell,
    The entire inside came out. All that's left is the barrel. A moen cartridge puller won't help in this case. Regards, Tom
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Mar 31, 2009, 07:04 PM

Inside of Moen Cartridge came out.
    Let me try again. I assumed you removed the horseshoe shaped keeper before you tried to remove the cartridge. That said when the inner part of the Moen cartridge is removed the outer part can be retrieved with the aid of a different tool. If you want me to tell you how, step by step that will be okay but first I would like to know which tool you have chosen. One that never failed me was a tap. I forget exactly what size fits in there after you take that inside stem part out, but first you cut some threads into it and then you remove the tap. Put in a wooden dowel 3/8” outside diameter (if I recall correctly) by about 2-1/2” long and then put the tap back in there it would just push it out of there and then you need to retrieve the dowel, cleanup the inside of the valve body and you were ready for your new cartridge. The more expensive way is just to replace the valve.
    Hope that helps. Let us know.
    Thanks
    Sally49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Thank you everyone for your input, especially Darrell. We are getting a tool to get it out. But if that doesn't work, my son is going to try Darrell's suggestion. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After replacing Moen cartridge, still little water pressure, how can I fix? [ 13 Answers ]

After some hot water heater problems, I got no water pressure in the tub/shower. I replaced the cartridge (one an knock off that slides real easy and when that did not work I used a 'genuine Moen replacement part') Both to no avail. I still get very little water pressure. I called Moen and they...

Moen Château shower faucet not mxing hot/cold after replacing cartridge and flushing [ 8 Answers ]

I'm looking for some guidance on what do next... I've already done some research on the forums here to solve my problem and have basically exhausted all current things I know to do. Problem: Moen Château single handle faucet, circa 1982 (not Positemp - pulls straight out, left for hot, right...

Replacing moen shower faucet cartridge valve [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 moen single handle shower faucet that won't stop dripping. I took it apart, removed the u-shaped pin, but how do I remove the cartridge to replace the washers?

Replacing a moen cartridge [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove the old cartridge from the faucet assembly??

Moen cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

I changed my one handle shower cartridge by moen. This was not easy and had to break it apart to remove. I put a new one in and there was no pressure. I changed this one and got very little improvement. I had great pressure before it was just leaking any ideas??

View more questions Search