Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pat CrenShaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Need informationf for changing plumbing hookup at bathroom sink
    When a friend removed the sink in my powder room he twisted the shut off valve to the point that I need to replace it. I need to know how to turn off the hot water at the hotwater heater so that I can cut the copper pipe and replace the shut off valve
    I have turned off the main valve to the house but is this enough to be able to stop the hot water flow to the bathroom sink?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2009, 02:41 PM
    I need to know how to turn off the hot water at the hotwater heater.
    There should be a shut off valve located on the cold water supply going in to the heater.
    What type of angle stop do you have? Compression, sweat or threaded? If it's a compression type.(see image) The repair's a easy one, But I have to know. Back to you. Tom
    Attached Images

Pat CrenShaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 03:07 PM

Novice here! The valve and pipe going into the top of the heater tank is the round kind. Like you would see on shutoff valve for water to the washer or outside faucet. The only valve looking like your sample is the gas shut off
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Mar 31, 2009, 10:32 PM

How to shut off the water heater.
    If your shut off to the house is 100% you should be able to remove the old angle stop shut off valve and install a new one without a lot of water draining out. Open up the hosebibbs or the lowest faucet to the ground to help drain residual water in the lines. One exception would be if the faucet you are working on is located right next to the water heater.
    You can find out more about angle stops here. Angle stops
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat CrenShaw View Post
    Novice here! The valve and pipe going into the top of the heater tank is the round kind. Like you would see on shutoff valve for water to the washer or outside faucet. The only valve looking like your sample is the gas shut off
    Pat the stop I put up is the angle stop in your powder room. This is the one,(see iimage) on the coold water inlet to your water heater. Either turn that o9ne off or you could get the same results by shutting down the entire house. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 09:57 AM

To be on the safe side If you have a main shut off valve to your house close that one it will shut off the water to house, Open up the hosebibbs or the lowest faucet to the ground to help drain residual water in the lines, see the image below will show how to remove the angle valve, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Under bathroom sink plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

According to our city law a licensed plumber has to plumb all new construction. I had a plumber put the plumbing under the sink, however I was going to hook up the pipes myself. I am not sure how I need to connect the vent pipe. Can you help me with this?

Plumbing for dishwasher hookup under sink with disposal [ 4 Answers ]

I have a kitchen sink with a disposal fitted beneath. My dishwasher is hooked up to the left of the sink but it keeps leaking from beneath, soaking the floor from below. It has been fixed a couple of times. It is now leaking again. I suspect that the drainage plumbing is incorrect and that the...

How do I cut through exterior wall to add second bathroom sink plumbing? [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my master bathroom and want to add sink. Currently, there is one set of pipes for a sink and would like to splice them into a second sink. The problem is that the current plumbing is located in an exterior wall and I need to know how to cut open the wall, so that I can expose the...

Plumbing-bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

Just Put New Bathroom Sink Top In And Seem To Have A Problem With Water Leaking From The Stopper Valve--we Fill Up Sink Then Let It Out And Water Keeps Coming Out Where The Stopper Valve Is--have Tightened It And Tried Two New Stopper Valves Still Keeps Leaking

View more questions Search