Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 31, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Bad Neighbors
    So thought you real estate law experts may be able to help me here. I have some neighbors who are constantly breaking assoc. rules, littering, parties, not supervising their kids... etc. We have fined them over 20 times in the past 2 years. We have informed their property manager (they are renters) about them and he continues to renew their lease each year. All of my neighbors have problems with them. Can we do anything? Sue the Owner? Property manager? I have read through our assoc. rules and did not find anything about eviction for multile rule violations.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 09:52 AM

The association basically messed up by not having a clause in the bylaws to evict tenants for multiple violations. Would suggest that they hold a meeting and "vote" in some new regulations regarding tenants being evicted. Homeowners are a different ilk, but tenants you could write into the bylaws. Or conversely, change the bylaws and forbid any renting out of the premises and have it owner occupied only. One or the other should do the trick.

Where I live it's owner occupied only and no renters allowed. Makes one think before they purchase.

Apr 2, 2009, 12:16 PM

We are in the process of rewriting the by-laws but the manager has told me they cannot add a rule about multiple rule violations for renters because evictions are controlled by the state. Sound right to you? Most of the units where I live are rentals, so I doubt we would get the votes to change to owners only, sure would be nice though. Thanks for the input.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 01:31 PM

Are they paying the fines ? Can you also fine the owner of the property for the violations
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2009, 01:44 PM

What I would suggest is that the by-laws be amended so that the board has to approve the renewal of any leases where the tenants have incurred fines. Also provide that the unit owner can be fined if they violate that rule.

Only the property owner can evict. So you can't take direct action against the tenants unless they are required to sign a covenant adhering to association rules. But you can take action against the owners for allowing unruly tenants.

Apr 2, 2009, 01:47 PM

Yes, they pay the fines, which go directly to the Owner first so he is aware of the problem (he lives about 1500 miles away and apparently doesn't care). I just wish there was something I could do outside the HOA, I'm think of writing the Owner and speaking to an Attorney. Or maybe I should have my Attorney write him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2009, 02:19 PM

First you can't really do anything. Only the HOA can take action.

Of course the owner doesn't care, he keeps getting extra income. So another change would be to make all fines payable to the HOA not the owner.

But I really think the changes I suggested will be legal and will help you get rid of the tenant (or get them under control) by the next lease renewal.

Apr 2, 2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks Scott, won't let me give you a greenie, I'll get you later. All good stuff to take to the board meeting next week.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 11:36 AM

The HOA should have an attorney to help get around such undesirable tenants that are living there. This would be up to the HOA's attorney how to properly word any such amendments necessary so as to adhere to the state law regarding evictions.

Hope your HOA's attorney can figure out some good wording!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbors from he! [ 3 Answers ]

My next door neighbors are two older females which one takes care of another and she has and has adopted a boy from her husbands mistress which did drugs with him during the pregnancy. This child is severely ADHD and have a mental disability. Now when we first moved here no one would play with this...

Neighbors? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a married couple with no children that lives above (I live a condo) me. I have lived here for 5 yrs. With my girlfriend. Three months after I moved in I hookup my stereo. After only 3 songs played he was knocking on my door to turn down my music. I didn't because first it wasn't loud and...

At War with the neighbors [ 12 Answers ]

The neighbors downstairs will not quit! They are constantly banging on the ceiling and the walls and it is quite annoying. I have notified the on- site property manager and all he can do is tell them to stop doing it. They will never stop, they are very confrontational and I am fed up! At this...

Neighbors [ 20 Answers ]

We have had some fun and some sad stories about our next door neighbors Would everyone like to share some of theirs with us. ** today I was getting ready for our winter weather, I got my generator out and get it started, well in about 30 min my next door neighbor got his out and started...

My new neighbors [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbors have had a street light instulled and lights up my entire front yard and half of my home.. it is very disturbing to me and the way I was used to living how can I take care of the new and very annoying problem?

View more questions Search