Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 31, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Dog is a thief!
    My dog has turned into a thief and I don't know what to do to stop her! When I am sleeping at night, she gets into my refrigerator and cupboards, and steals my food and hides it on me. She doesn't eat it, she just hides it! She also tries to get into my purse and steals things like my makeup, wallet and money. I'm getting tired of having to hunt for my food and items from my purse. How do I stop her from this obsession? I'm going broke! I can't put her in a kennel, she finds a way to escape! What do I do?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 11:08 AM

Sorry I don't know how to stop your pup, but in the meantime get baby proof locks for your cabinets and heavy duty professional 'sticky' velcro for your fridge. I use the velcro on my screen doors, so the pups don't wander out by the pool.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 11:26 AM

Lmao go niki go :D, have you tried putting them out of her reach.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 11:39 AM

I had a dog who robbed my fridge,we put a chair in front of the fridge and he used it to get in the freezer and ate/destroyed $150.00 worth of groceries. He also jumped through every glass window in my home.Right through the glass.It was a good thing the vet was right down the street.He had to go to a farm,the vet said he had too much energy.

Have you brought a new animal in the house lately?

Is this new behavior?

She must be very bright.

I would hide my purse in a closet and get those child proof things for the cupboard.

You could try a bungee cord for the fridge.Pain in the butt to do every night.

I'm sorry I can't offer better advice,I guess you just have to be craftier than her.That is one sly dog :)
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 31, 2009, 12:31 PM

Perhaps you could buy one one those fairly cheep security things (I'm not sure what they are exactly called) That if the two parts are separated by the door opening makes a loud alarm sound. This might spook the dog out of the fridge and alert you to the problem so you can come out and tell her "No!" You can also just turn the alarm box thing off in the day so you don't have to get yelled at every time you want a sandwich.

Found an example of one here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.826
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 05:59 PM

I suggest you get a second Job , that way you will be able to afford more food. She can only hide so much surely ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 06:26 PM

Comments on this post
    starbuck8 agrees: I can't! I spend all of my time lookin for hidden food!!

I understand , therefore you should get yourself a Bloodhound. Name:  dogsniffing.gif
Views: 131
Size:  1.8 KBHe can keep Niki company and sniff out the hidden goods as well.

2 Birds with one stone.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 06:38 PM

A blood hound? But, he'll eat the food, he won't bring it back.

Send Niki here, I'll reform her. ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    A blood hound? But, he'll eat the food, he won't bring it back.

Send Niki here, I'll reform her. ;)
    This one won't , he's a Vampire Bloodhound :cool:
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 31, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    This one won't , he's a Vampire Bloodhound :cool:
    Where can I get this breed? Will it be able to teach Niki? I'm still missing a rare pot roast, a can of tomato juice, and a $20! :eek:
    Pets Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 08:34 PM

Vampire blood hound you say?

Starby, is your sister breeding dogs? Say it isn't so. ;)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 31, 2009, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Vampire blood hound you say?

Starby, is your sister breeding dogs? Say it isn't so. ;)
    Yes! It's a new designer breed! Very sharp teeth. Does anyone have a breed like this? Am I going to have to walk him only at night?
    Pets Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    Yes! It's a new designer breed! Very sharp teeth. Does anyone have a breed like this? Am I going to have to walk him only at night?
    At night? No! You can't walk him at night, someone could get hurt. You can't walk him during the day, he would burn, burn, burn!

You're going to have to move to Nunavut, it's dark 6 months of the year there, you can walk him during the day which will seem like night all day long. Did you get that? I hope so. ;)

What time is it? What day is it?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Apr 1, 2009, 02:10 AM

Sounds like you need some padlocks.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 1, 2009, 11:24 AM

APRIL FOOLS!!...GOTCHA!! I only wish Niki was quite this smart!. or do I? Didn't you guys wonder why she was stealing food and not eating it, and makeup and money? Did nobody think she was getting ready for a hot date? LOL!
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 03:09 PM

Darn you got me , looks like you don't need that 2nd Job now ;)
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Apr 1, 2009, 03:14 PM

Yeah got me to, but I kept wondering what kind of dog would hide the food and not eat it.
    Good job.

Apr 1, 2009, 06:04 PM

A dachshund my aunt use to have would NEVER eat his treats. He always hid them all over the house. He's been gone for nearly 20 years and bones still show up every now and then in some remote corner or under something. There are some dogs that just like to hoard food, probably reminiscent to how wold animals hide their food in cache's. I found it completely believable that a dog would hide the stolen goods.

Apr 1, 2009, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE]starbuck8 agrees: That's so funny... after so many yrs. Too! Didn't you wonder just how Niki was getting into fridge and getting the goods off the shelves? Lol I have seen dogs do some awesome things though.[/QUOTE

I've seen plenty of dogs on various shows on Animal Planet get into fridges, thankfully I've never had to experience that particular bad habit in person though. In fact that's where I saw the noise maker idea, from "Its Me or the Dog".
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 1, 2009, 07:47 PM

I've never seen that show! I'll have to keep an eye out for it! That's weird, because I do get animal planet. When is it usually on? I usually catch the Dog Whisperer and Dog Town on the National Geo Channel, but for some reason I always forget I have Animal Planet!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is she a thief? [ 3 Answers ]

My Friend keeps stealing form me, At first it was small things but the most recent was a large amount of money. At first I thought she may have been a kleptomaniac but now she has moved on to stealing items of value. She always says that money is no issue for her so I don't understand, is there...

Thief under $5000 [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I am 35yrs old live in Toronto, and I just committed "thief under $5000, will I get criminal record and do I need to go to jail ? This is the first time I am committed this and before my record was clean. Please advice, thanks.

Toy Thief [ 10 Answers ]

My neighbors have a 6 or 7 year old golden retriever, he's a very nice dog and like a big teddy bear who drools A LOT and he comes to our house quite a bit. I never used to mind it because my dog gets along well with him. But lately when I've been going out to play catch with Rex as soon as I...

Name of a movie about a car thief? [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to remember the name of a movie about a grandpa and his grandson. The grandpa has just gotten out of jail after like 60 years for something or other. The grandson is intrigued by this and wants to help him out and they spend a bunch of time together trying to get back the car his...

View more questions Search