Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lexegay Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Need opinions
    My nephew has an outstanding warrant for drug use. He did not appear in court. His dad signed a 5000.00 surety bond and he did not appear. Since the first incident my sisters home has been raided once again. They did not find my nephew there. They did arrest his dad (my brotherinlaw) for stolen property over $300.00 and use/drug paraphanelia. We did not have a clue that he was using as well. He up and quit his job of thirty years about a month ago and has been very irrational. He goes to court next month. This is a first time offense. I guess my question is what are we to expect when he goes to court. Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Hello Lexegay:

Well, it's not so cut and dried as all that. Are we talking felonies or misdemeanors here? Do they think your bro-in-law knows where his son is? How much more than $300? What kind of property? It didn't just appear at his house. Do they think he stole it? Do they think he knows who stole it? Do they want him to snitch? (My guess is they absolutely do!) Does the prosecutor want to run for district attorney? Is this a small town?

Plus, lots of other factors come into play. Is he contrite? Does he have community support? Does he have a lawyer? A PD, or did he hire an expensive criminal attorney? Does he have a job? Is he still using drugs? DID he snitch? Is the judge running for re-election? And on, and on…..

So you can see there is no answer. If they want to make an example out of him, or if he didn't cooperate, or, or, or, or (take your pick), he could go to jail for quite some time, or they could slap him on the wrist.

excon

PS> If he wants the least to happen to him, I suggest that he hire the best criminal attorney he can afford.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2006, 06:57 PM
    A lot will depend on what he is specifically charged with and what sentencing guidelines your state has in place for those offenses, assuming he gets convicted. As excon suggested, hiring a good criminal lawyer is a smart move as he may well be able to get your brother-in-law acquitted or plea bargain down to something much less serious and, consequently, with much less stiff penalties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just looking for some opinions on a case [ 6 Answers ]

I was charged with trespassing. I entered a school, requesting at the administration to speak with a individual from that school. This was denied, and I was asked to leave. Upon exiting in the corridor area, the student was there, they invited me to speak with them. I spoke with them and a...

Guys Opinions Please [ 15 Answers ]

To all the guys... if you had a girl call you every day for months for business advice (truly) would you be irritated with her? I tried calling once or twice on a friendly basis but his married and I don't want any trouble... just business... (I mean we talk personal after business conversation...

Would appreciate some opinions on a relationship. [ 5 Answers ]

First, I'll start by saying I'm not sure how well I could put in to words the entire situation I'm in, since it's hard to describe personalities and things of that nature, but I'll try. The thing is, I've been dating this girl for nearly 4 months, and things are going wonderful. It's past the...

Opinions of the Internet [ 22 Answers ]

I was on the ask me help desk site for teens and I was looking for new posts to help with when I saw the ads on the page they went as such: CUTE BLACK GUYS: Date Sexy Black Singles. Join Tens of Thousands of Black Singles. Cute Young Guy: Meet men with similar for dating & more. Go search...

Your Opinions Wanted [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, A person asked this question at another question/answer websie: Sometimes my toshiba laptop slows down at any program I'm using. I go into Task Mangager and then under the Processes tab it shows 100% usage at the bottom of it so I have to reboot the PC to run normal. Why does it do this? ...

View more questions Search