Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Student loan
    I paid off a student loan 20 years ago, about $12,000. I kept the cancelled check for 8 years and then destroyed it along with the other checks from that year(1989). In 2007, a debt collector called me and said I owed them $30,000 on this debt because I had not paid it. They have not contacted me in any way from 1989-2007. I told them I paid the debt in full in 1989 and they said do I have the cancelled check, I told them no. I then called my bank and they said they do not keep records of cancelled chek for more than 5 years(including microfilm). I had not heard from them till about a week ago saying that if I do not pay this deby in full they will put a lien on my house, attack my bank account and go after everything I own. I have been totally disabled since 2004 and live on my social security and my wife's retirement. Help!! Thank you so much in advance for responding.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 31, 2009, 09:54 AM

I hope they are not mistaking you for someone else, I would ask them for a copy of the records so you can check to be sure it is your debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a student loan which is ten years old. It's in default. My income tax refunds are being kept because of the outstanding loans. Also I'm still receiving calls from a collection agency regarding that same student loan. Does the statue of limitations apply to student loans. eoliver

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Student loan [ 1 Answers ]

How can I remove a student loan garnishment

Old Student Loan [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a Viet Nam Veteran. He was drafted while he was in college. When he went into the military he had about $5,000 in student loans. He was in the military for about six years. Got out and went to work. About 6 years ago he went to buy a car and found out that with interest he...

View more questions Search