Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 06:35 AM
    What if you find someone better?
    When I was with my ex, she would ask me: "What if you find someone better? Are you going to dump me for her?"

How was I suppose to answer that? I usually said: "No comment" or "Well, I'm happy with you"

What a trap question. I still don't know what the answer should be.
    starlite1 Posts: 753, Reputation: 58

Mar 31, 2009, 06:39 AM

Hi Wish,

LOL! It's not really a trap question. I am a 39 year old woman, and I find myself asking my boyfriend that question now and again. From my own words, if I ask that question, I am looking for an honest answer, and also when I ask, I know I am having an insecure moment, I'll admit. I just want to make sure I am pretty enough, good enough, etc for him, and by asking that I am looking to make sure he is truly happy with me.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 06:40 AM

It is a stupid question. Being in love means that you are devoted to that person. There is no "better." Unless you think the grass is greener, in which case your love isn't that strong. Seriously, put it in perspective. I saw a ton of girls that I though may have been as attractive, or even more, than my ex. Did that make them better? NO! You cannot tell if someone is "better" just by looking at them, or even knowing them. Until you are in a relationship, you don't know PERIOD what you are getting in to!

Insecurity leads to all sorts of stupid questions, that being one of them. I hate that stuff! It is all about comforting them and letting them know you are in it for the long haul. If they can't handle that, then screw 'em. My advice, and this is about as sappy as I get... when they ask that, just pull them in as close as you can, hug them, and give them a kiss on the forehead...

All right, enough of that!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 06:50 AM

What does *better* even mean ?

She was looking for a declaration of your love and devotion and being insecure.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    When I was with my ex, she would ask me: "What if you find someone better? Are you going to dump me for her?"

How was I suppose to answer that? I usually said: "No comment" or "Well, I'm happy with you"

Don't have to answer it, it's self-loathing.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Hay KC

Can't rep you but AWWW that is so sweet and it would work on me like a charm ;)
    Family & People Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 07:06 AM

At first, I thought maybe she was looking for a consistent answer? If we change answers, then we could change girls?

I'm liking the responses so far. So I'm not the only one who finds this question a bit ridiculous!
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 07:08 AM

If I started a thread about the ridiculous questions I was asked by my ex, we would set records. It is what it is. Sometimes, to be the man, you just have to be the man... hold, comfort, and be warm.
    UnluckyDucky Posts: 210, Reputation: 110

Mar 31, 2009, 07:14 AM

Trap question? Hmmm. I never thought of questions like these as "traps". I was asked this same question by one of my ex's on a pretty consistent basis. Like others have stated here, that question typically stems from insecurity from within. My typical response was a playful "Yup I am so you better work harder at keeping me happy" or "Of course I am, and you're going to help me find that girl right?". She'd give me an elbow to the ribs but she got the point - she knew I was with her for a reason.
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 07:33 AM

Yea I never understood questions like that. I would tell her every time that I loved her and was completely happy with her. Other times I would say things like Unlucky to get a rise out of her.

Women say this when they are feeling insecure and want someone to comfort them.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 07:50 AM

Sometimes questions like that can only be answered by reassurances, and KC, your answer was perfect.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 07:52 AM

Never understand that question, but while we are talking about stupid questions/comments. How about this one, when my fiancé and I first started dating, she said that I deserve better. Now I'm not a rocket scientist, nor do I claim to be. But what in the blue hell does that mean. Aren't we the ones that should be the judge of that?
    Family & People Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    Never understand that question, but while we are talking about stupid questions/comments. How about this one, when my fiance and I first started dating, she said that I deserve better. Now I'm not a rocket scientist, nor do I claim to be. But what in the blue hell does that mean. Aren't we the ones that should be the judge of that?
    LOL! I'm not even sure what she's trying to get at. There's two ways we can take that:

1) Positively, she really likes you and wants you to be happy... and she doesn't feel good enough for you. So she's insecure about herself, but not about how you feel about her.

2) Negatively, the more obvious one, she's testing you. For example, to see if there's another woman out there based on your response? Or if we hint that we are second guessing our decision to be with them?

I'm just staring at the computer trying to think of how I would respond to that...

Probably something along the lines of: "I don't feel that way at all, I think it's the reverse, I feel like I don't deserve you because you are so wonderful..."
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 08:06 AM

I just would say, you're the one I want to be with. There is no one else, my eyes and heart are strictly with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why caan't I find the accelaration I tried and tried and I still couldn't find it [ 1 Answers ]

An object moving with uniform acceleration has a velocity of 14.0 cm/s in the positive x direction when its x coordinate is 3.00 cm. If its x coordinate 1.80 s later is -5.00 cm, what is its acceleration?

Why caan't I find the accelaration I tried and tried and I still couldn't find it [ 1 Answers ]

An object moving with uniform acceleration has a velocity of 14.0 cm/s in the positive x direction when its x coordinate is 3.00 cm. If its x coordinate 1.80 s later is -5.00 cm, what is its acceleration?

Plot: Orphans find a briefcase with cash and return to find a hand [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find the name of a 1980's movie that a group of orphaned kids find a briefcase with cash and return to find a hand in it. Then, the briefcase goes missing after they report it to the police. Does anyone know the name of this movie?

HOW can I find old age homes in BARRIE Ontario? I need to find my mom! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, just wondering if someone could find me a listof them all, thanks!

View more questions Search