Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    americancanadia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 10:01 PM
    Immigration and Marriage Laws
    Hi,I'm an american citizen trying to get married to a canadian.well,I had a problem entering canada because of my criminal past.I have cases that's less than five years.the cases are violations not serious.the more serious crimes have been ten years ago.will I be eligible for the rehabilitation program?and what advice can you give me on legally getting married.god bless!
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Apr 2, 2009, 07:40 AM

If ten years have passed since you completed your sentence than you may apply for rehabilitation. For lesser crimes the time is five years. It will also depend on how many convictions you have and what sentence they carry in Canada for those specific crimes.

In response to getting married legally, I'm not quite sure what your asking. In terms of Immigration you may marry in Canada (provided of course you deal with rehabilitation and are granted entry) or marry in the States. You may also apply as common law partners for the purposes of Immigration. I assume your asking for Immigration purposes, if not than disregard the above.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 12:39 PM

You can get married regardless of conviction records but when you apply for permanent resident status, you need immigration lawyer. You will be required to prove that if your application is denied, it will cause extreme hardship to your spouse. This case is not a DIY type... consult the lawyer first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International marriage and divorce laws in regard to american laws [ 3 Answers ]

Dateline: U.S. resident from panama in national guard gets stationed in panama and gets married U.S. resident comes back from panama (without wife cause she does not want to leave her country) U.S. resident becomes a naturalized citizen of U. S. Naturalized U. S. citizen gets american...

Immigration Laws [ 1 Answers ]

If I am a ciitizen, but I became a citizen years ago, will I be deported if I marry someone to help them stay in the country and the marriage is fake?

Immigration laws.and marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I called immigration on somebody who I know is an illegal immigrant, I gave them the person's name, address, and social security # they were using. I feel bad now and I wanted to know the chances that ICE would actually respond and deport them because they are not a felon and have been in the U.S....

Immigration laws- [ 3 Answers ]

I married an illegal immigrant from Mexico in Feb. 07-so its only been about 7 months.Hes been here since 1999 and has not done anything towards getting legal. I am ready to start a family and buy a house together but because he doesn't have a valid ss# it is impossible for him to do just about...

Immigration Laws On Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I have come from pakistan 5 years ago, I got married to a british citizen. I have not got a british passport or a british nationality, but I do have a permanent visa to stay in the uk. I am now divorced and wish to marry someone in pakistan. Can I call my permanent who I marry in pakistan to the...

View more questions Search