Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayswhitten Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Petrified bone marrow?
    Has anyone ever heard of bone marrow that is practically petrified? During a total knee replacement my surgeon had to drill out the bone marrow. Yet neither the pathologist who examined the bone fragments, nor the hematologist who I saw can find any evidence of a bone, bone marrow, or a blood disorder. They say I happen to have very hard bones. I do drink mostly milk and quite a bit of it; I do not drink coffee nor many soft drinks.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 09:20 PM

I'm a bit lost with your question.

1. Petrified bone marrow in a live human being would not work, as bone marrow produces red blood cells... so petrified bone marrow would = death.

2. You said your surgeon had to drill out the bone marrow, but in my experience in observation (I'm a pre-med student), I've never seen it done any other way. Was there a different method that the surgeon utilized on a regular basis?

3. Why do you think that you may have a bone/marrow/blood disorder?

4. Some people have hard bones, some people have soft bones; it really depends on the person.
    kayswhitten Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 12:11 AM

I was told that the bone marrow can usually be practically "scooped" out with your finger, but that mine was like stone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog ate bone whole [ 2 Answers ]

M small dog ate a rib bone whole. Will he be okay?

Bone marrow donations [ 2 Answers ]

I am a regular blood donator, and at my last donation I was given a leaflet about donating bone marrow. After looking through the leaflet, I felt I may be interested in registering with the blood marrow registary. I am only 18, and I don't know too much about the procedure or anything, but I was...

Abnormal Bone Marrow [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 52 year old woman and I have been having lower back problems. I had an MRI and they found I had bone marrow. I then had a body scan and it showed nothing. Should I be concerned or is this normal to have back problems with abnormal bone marrow?

My pup swallowed a bone.what do I do? [ 4 Answers ]

OK... so my three month puppy swallowed a bone today from a beef rib. The bone was small but still... I didn't know he had the bone, because my dumb uncle gave it to him and by the time I realized it and tried to take it away, he swallowed it whole... now I'm scared, because he hasn't thrown up yet...

Bone dry [ 3 Answers ]

Tonight my boyfriend and I were having sex (he got me off before we did it so I would be lubed enough) and everything was going fine until I started to feel a burning/friction sensation. I then realized I was bone dry. I have no idea why this happened. I don't see how it could all just go away....

View more questions Search