Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tailhook77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Alexandrite Precious Gemstone
    I am disposing an estate and have one quality precious gem to be sold:

.76 ct Alexandrite (true & natural stone) that is oval and has several changes in color in differing light. Gray, blue, green, violet, orange/yellow to name a few.

What is the market value and where is the market?

tailhook77 :D
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 03:16 PM

If this is a real Alexandrite it is worth plenty. There are a lot of good man made Alexandrites though so if I were you I would definitely have this one taken to a Certified Gemologist and be tested for authenticity. I know a lot about Alexandrites as this is my birthstone and I have owned quite a few over the years as well.

Do not dispose of this until a professional gemologist has had a chance to properly appraise it and grade it.

Alexandrite was discovered on the birthday of Russian Czar Alexander in the late 1900's. It was discovered in Russia. The stone has a wonderful ability to literally change color from a purplish to a green depending on the light source. Indoors it would appear purplish under incandescent lights and greenish in the natural sunlight. Even the manmade ones can change color. I had a 3 ct emerald cut Alexandrite that was set as a ring for me and that cost a pretty penny 30 years ago.

An Alexandrite of the size you have could be worth as much as $5,000 if it were authentic.
    enchantedvision Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Apr 19, 2009, 06:12 PM

Hi, Twinkiedooter is absolutely right.
    Alexandrite, if it is natural and not lab created is very valuable. The more complete color change the more valuable it is also.
    I would not do anything with it until I had least one reputable gemologist and then a second opinion by another gemologist. I was very very lucky and was able to purchas mine from an estate sale. The seller had already had it appraised, but I had an independent appraisle done on it before I purchased mine. I purchased mine for just a song and a dance @ $2800. It was a appraised @ $5200. My piece is a ring that consists of 3Alexandrite gemstones. The middle gemstone is 6x4mm and a 5x3mm gemstones on each side in a 14kt gold setting. As you can see by the appraisle of my ring that Alexandrite can indeed be valuable. Just proceed carefully. Lisa T
    tailhook77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2010, 12:58 PM

I just got back from a Dallas G.G. Appraiser (A MERE year later)
    He said he reviewed FEW natural alexanderites... mine was!

I thought mine was a .76ct... it WASN'T :( It was .31ct

He was amazed with the strong color change. :)

Now finding the best venue to sell.

Thanks for your comments

tailhook77

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Precious Moments [ 1 Answers ]

I have several pieces of Precious Moments I want to sell. Can someone tell me how to so I can get the best value for them?

View more questions Search