Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Is paint primer needed?
    I would like to paint over bright yellow paint which is on drywall. The covering color is just as bright.
    godiou1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Needed no, but there are some factors you might want to consider. The color you are painting with may also be bright, but the yellow will influence the first coat. A second or third coat could be required to get your true new color. By using primer you could get away with one good coat of your new bright color. I say could because sometimes small areas are missed and you may want to do a second coat. It will take less of your new paint with a primer.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 06:51 PM

I would like to take this a step further. Depending on colors I will use a primer/sealer before color change. This can be done in two coats.

Get the primer/sealer Tinted the color you are using for the finish coat.

I use to get irked when I go to a paint store, especially the Big Box stores, and see people buying more paint because 2 coats didn't quite make it.

The it was ooohhhh can't sell more paint that way...

One coat of Primer Sealer tinted really helps guarantee one finish coat of quality paint.

Do it for a living
    NameTaken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 07:15 PM

I've been remodeling my home for a year now. Yes, primer is needed. It will determine the successful application of your top coat. A quality primer will block stains and odors and make the top coat go on smoothly and with an even finish. I can't imagine painting a wall without priming.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 10:11 PM

Thanks guys. I'll get primer tinted the color of the finish paint.
    grandlakehome Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2009, 02:28 PM
    I have found over years of experience that a primer is always needed when painting for adequate adhesion long term. I also recommend you use the same brand primer as paint.
    Good luck.

grandlakehome
    mypaintbidfree Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 07:01 AM

Hello Simone,
    I always used a good primer/sealer when changing colors, until recently. We painted over Hunter Green (satin) P&L Accolade, first I sanded lightly dusted the walls and put two coats of Aura. The walls turned out beautiful and the original was painted with (one primer tinted) five coats total of the dark green back in 1992 (they held up well). Saving on labor with new technology will go a long way with your budget and your time. We see if it holds up just as long...
    MyPaintBid,free estimates

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using Ceiling Paint as Primer [ 14 Answers ]

I've go a ton of left over off-white ceiling paint. Can I use that as a primer for newly constructed drywall walls, or would that be, well, stupid? Or at the very least, a waste of time.

Primer and Paint [ 3 Answers ]

I have put primer over a black wall and want to paint it orange. The problem is I put 4 coats of paint and it's not covering.I have A thick expensive paint and don't understand.I was told to put More coats until it's covered.Is this what I should do?

Paint Primer [ 1 Answers ]

I heard that you can thin down water based paint with water and use it as a primer on drywall prior to painting. If true, what is the paint - water ratio?

What happens if use wrong primer paint [ 1 Answers ]

What happens if you use wrong primer paint. e.g. use wood primer on a plastic

View more questions Search