Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeinPa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 05:16 PM
    MTD Riding Mower
    Greetings All,
    I have an MTD 12hp 36inch cut riding mower that I just bought as a spare. I was told it needed a new battery so I bought and installed it. Problem is when I try to start it I get a whining or "spinning" sound. I'm far from being a mechanic BUT it sounds like a starter and or solenoid? How can I be sure which it is or if this is even the case, and how tough a job is it.

Appreciate the help
    Joe
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Spinning would be the starter (the solenoid works) take the small plastic cover off the top there (left side on top of the starter, screws onto the shroud) and check the ring gear on the flywheel, and the starter gear... I'd bet the starter gear teeth may be all gone...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Craftsman 11 Hp Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Even Crank.I Have A Good Battery Clean Posts,power To The Starter But When I Push Clutch In To Crank,nothing Happens.what Am I Doing Wrong?

Honda Riding Mower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda 3813 riding mower. It starts fine, but once I engage the blade, the mower proceeds very slowly in 5th gear then dies out (chokes out). When I don't have the blade engaged, it moves fine. It also will not go up a slight incline without choking out. Any suggestions?

MTD 18 HP riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 18 Hp MTD mower which won't start. Does not get gas, tank full, new gas filter, and new spark plugs. Has two kill switches on it.

AYP Riding Mower Transmission [ 1 Answers ]

Hi; I have 42" deck AYP riding mower. Today it started jerking when putting it in gear and not wanting to go forward unless I hold the brake slightly depressed. I took the back plate off and noticed that the drive pulley was real wobbbly. Is this cause by a bad bearing or shim and is it repairable...

Riding lawn mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have 1/2 acre of lawn and wish to replace an old Craftsman mower. Sears advertises a 17-HP Kohler Pro engine, 42 inch lawn tractor for $1200.00. Is this a good value, and do you recommend Craftsman lawn tractors? Thanks!

View more questions Search