Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Mar 30, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Dried out ink cartridges!
    I have a Lexmark printer which I seldom use, only everyone once in a while to print out receipts, or something else small. I find my ink constantly drying out, today I went to print something and they were dried so I had to spend $44 to get new cartridges. Is there anyway to keep them moist when I do not use my printer regularly?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 12:38 PM

It's important to always use the power switch to turn the printer off, for one. The printer should "cap" the cartridge when it's turned off, but the nozzles aren't capped.

If the cartridge contains the head too, you can usually take them out and with a damp paper towel wipe the head and put it back in.

If that fails to work, try finding the smallest air-tight container that will hold the cartridge.
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Apr 1, 2009, 03:34 PM

Check out the following for information:

Troubleshooting Your Inkjet Cartridge - PacificInk.com

Preventing an Ink Cartridge From Drying Out

Inkspot: Ink Cartridge Care
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Never use paper towels to clean the cartridge nozzles. Please use a Lint Free soft cloth that has been dampened.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2009, 05:12 PM

My Lexmark printer will do a maintenance cycle once a week to keep the nozzles clear. I leave it plugged in all the time, but do turn it off. Even when it is off, it will do the maintenance at the appropriate time.

If your printer has this feature, make sure you leave power to it all the time (i.e. not on a power strip that you turn off). I have not had the dried up ink problem when using it this way.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Susanray,

I disagree with the use of refilled cartridges. Print quality will often suffer because the chemical components of the ink differ from the original cartridges.

There is zero quality control for refilled ink. Nor do the vendors of refilled cartridges warranty any damage they may cause to the printer. Also most printer companies void the warranty on their products if refilled cartridges are used.

Some cartridges, are "Smart Cartridges" meaning the know that they were empty and will report back to the printer that they are empty. The only way around that is to hack into the printer's code and change the value in the cartridge's id so that it now reports that it is full.

BTW- I base my reply on 15 years of printer technical support for Lexmark.
    Nubzor16 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2009, 11:54 PM

Depening on the model you have there is a little rubber cap type thing that sits uderneth the resting spot of the cartdriges when its not being used check if it has came undone.
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Apr 14, 2009, 05:54 AM

Thanks for all of your answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brother printer with 4 ink cartridges [ 13 Answers ]

Is Brother printers the only brand that uses 4 separate ink cartridges? Thanks... glenda:D

Where to recycle cartridges [ 2 Answers ]

I have two printers in my house, a Brother and a Canon. I used to take my cartridges to Petsmart and dropped them in a mailer, with the purpose that they would get recycled and Petsmart charities would get something. Now they tell me that the company that does that project doesn't accept either...

Refill My ink cartridges [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know how to refilll the ink cartridges for my Brother MFC-240C? I have a refill kit, but its not listed in the refill directions and have no idea where to make the hole. Any assistance would be great. Thanks Nike

Delta faucet cartridges . [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced both of the seat cartridges in our lavatory faucet. They work fine now and don't leak anymore. But during the past few weeks they have become more hard to turn on and off. Is there a reason for this that anyone knows of? It almost feels as if something is tightened too much, but...

Generic ink cartridges [ 10 Answers ]

Do generic ink cartridges harm a printer --Lexmark-- and if so how? I had used them successfully in the past, but this time one of them doesn't work. The black doesn't print. Have I damaged the printer? Is there anything I can do?

View more questions Search