Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1dazed1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 09:53 AM
    Heatpump frozen up & gas furnace backup.
    We have a heat pump and a gas furnace - the heat pump is supposed to act as our primary heat until temps are below 32 degress when the gas furnace then takes over. Here's the problem - the heatpump is frozen up (coils covered in thick white ice and solid ice partially covering one exterior side of unit). Fan is not running on unit, but it unit "runs" constantly and is not producing any heat. On our thermostat there is an option for emergency heat, which I would think would activate our gas furnace, but instead it seems to just activate the fan w/o any heat.

Any thoughts?? Or does anybody know how we can engage the gas furnace so we can have some heat until we can arrange for somebody to come take a look @ the heatpump?
    cornerstonehvac Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Sounds like you could have a bad OD fan motor or run cap OR a bad defrost board. But the Emergency heat not coming on could be the result of a couple things, 1- on some units, if the outdoor temp is above a certain temp it will not allow the emergency heat or AUX heat to come on even though the thermostat is calling.2- the unit is wired wrong. You should just call for service instead of messing with it yourself, let a qualified service technician solve the problem for you

Mar 30, 2009, 10:33 AM

Thank you for your reply... tell my checkbook that... we need the furnace on today, but don't have the $$$
    cornerstonehvac Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2009, 10:45 AM
    I hate to say it but HVAC Companies do take Plastic also. Seriously, It would be very hard to fix your problem without knowing what type of equipment that you have or how it is wired. If you are not in the trade please call a professional in your area or the company who installed it. They may be able to help.

Mar 30, 2009, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but we don't "do" plastic, thank you Dave Ramsey. I got another suggestion elsewhere that seems to be working for now.

Thanks again for your replies...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding backup heat on heatpump [ 2 Answers ]

I am in a region where the winter daytime temp averages in the 30's and 40's, and the night time temp normally gets below freezing, sometimes down below 20 degrees. Given that information, would you say it is necessary for an electric heat pump to have a working back up (i.e. electric elements,...

Honeywell thermostat works and trane heatpump and furnace won't turn on [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on my honeywell thermostat it says its on, but the furnace and the heatpump don't don't turn on. What could the problem be?

Battery backup power for Lennox G61MPV furnace? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to be able to operate my 2004 Lennox G61MPV furnace using a 1200W, 12V DC to 110V AC power inverter. The blower works just fine, but as soon as it tries to ignite, the furnace shuts down. I suspect it may be a question of proper grounding--the furnace may be very sensitive to this. ...

View more questions Search