Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbussing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Domain and range
    Suppose a quarter is flipped three consecutive times. Let P(n) represent the probability of obtaining exactly n heads. There are 8 different possibilities.
    hhh, hht, hth, htt that, tth, or ttt Thus P(n) = number of time exactly n heads could appear
    -----------------------------------------------------

What is the practicle domain of this function
    What is practicle range
    Create a talbe of values tha tincludes every value form the practicle domain

Not sure where to start.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 10:46 AM

Start with understanding what "range" and "domain" mean. This is one of those problems where once you understand the vocabulary, figuring out the answer is pretty simple.

The domain of a function is the set of values that are possible for the independent variable - in this case n. So here you need to determine what are the values for n that "work." For example: n could be 2 (meaning the probability of getting 2 heads in the 3 tosses), but it couldn't possibly be -2. So write down the possible values of n, and you have your domain.

The range is the set of all possible resulting values of the function. So here that means the possible values of P(n). Since P(n) is a probability it could never be negative, and could never exceed 1, but I will leave it to you to get a bit more specific as to the true range for P(n).
    dbussing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 07:13 PM
    Thank you for your reply. The information is very helpful and easy to understand. I have a much better understanding of this question and much more.

Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Start with understanding what "range" and "domain" mean. This is one of those problems where once you understand the vocabulary, figuring out the answer is pretty simple.

The domain of a function is the set of values that are possible for the independent variable - in this case n. So here you need to determine what are the values for n that "work." For example: n could be 2 (meaning the probability of getting 2 heads in the 3 tosses), but it couldn't possibly be -2. So write down the possible values of n, and you have your domain.

The range is the set of all possible resulting values of the function. So here that means the possible values of P(n). Since P(n) is a probability it could never be negative, and could never exceed 1, but I will leave it to you to get a bit more specific as to the true range for P(n).
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 12:14 AM

And just because it's niggling at me - it's spelled practical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are your long-range and short-range career goals and objectives, and how are you [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, What are your long-range and short-range career goals and objectives, and how are you preparing to achieve them?

Domain and range [ 2 Answers ]

Graph each function and state the domain and range y=0.3x

Domain and range [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot figure out the domain and range of the equation y= 4 - x^2 and x= y^2 - 1

Domain and Range [ 2 Answers ]

determine the domain and range of f(x)=-2x squared + 6x+3

View more questions Search