Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cathyjean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Avoiding 401k early disbursement penalties
    OK - we pulled out $ knowing we were going to pay, but we're trying to find a way around paying BIG time. We pulled out 44K early to put down on an investment condo in FL. We aren't anywhere near 59 1/2. We'd like to see 1) if there is a way to around paying the 10% penalty plus the exorbitant taxes or 2) how we address paying the huge amount to the IRS in installments.
    Thanks for any advise you have.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 08:57 AM

Sorry, but there is no way to avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty, unless the distribution is to cover medical expenses that are greater than 7.5% of your income. And there's no way to avoid paying the regular income tax on the distribution. There should already have been 20% withholding on the distribution.
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 1, 2009, 02:57 PM

Cannot avoid paying the penalty but look at it this way: if your condo investment yield a return more than the penalty then just treat the penalty of cost of your capital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdraw penalties [ 16 Answers ]

I am considering quiting my present job and using my 401k money to open a business and was wondering what percentage of the balance that I would be subject to loose?

Early 401k withdrawal penalties [ 4 Answers ]

I am 55 and due to a strokeI ampermantly disabled. My income is frim ssi which is tax free and long ter disability insurance which is tax free because I paid 100% of th ptemiums in before tax dollars. I have approx. #365,000 in my 401k plan snd want towithdrw $30k for a down payment on a home. I...

Early withdrawal penalties on 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I quit my and started a new job with the state of NC. I have 48K in a 401K and would like to withdrawl 15K. Is there a way that I can do this and avoid the penalties?

Early 401K withdrawal penalties [ 1 Answers ]

I want to cash out my 401K and use the money to buy a second home. What penalties are applicable and is there any way to avoid them. I am 56

401K Early Withdrawal Penalties? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about early withdrawal of my 401k due to changing employers. I am fully vested at my current company. I took a loan out from my 401k probably 6-8 months ago for personal reasons (not mortgage, etc.). Here are the details for that: I took out a loan of $2,868.01 and...

View more questions Search