Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angbev Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Warrany journaling/using inventory
    Warranties
    Bombeck Company sells a product for $1,500. When the customer buys it, Bombeck provides a one-year warranty. Bombeck sold 120 products during 2008. Based on analysis
    Of past warranty records, Bombeck estimates that repairs will average 3% of total sales.

1. Prepare a journal entry to record the estimated liability.

2. Assume that during 2008, products under warranty must be repaired using repair parts from inventory costing $4,950. Prepare the journal entry to record the repair of products.

My Question is where do I start? I am not really sure how to start the journal entry.
    Please help!
    Sincerely
    angbev:confused:
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 1, 2009, 02:55 PM

Should recognize the warranty expense as a percentage of sales. Dr. Warranty Expense Cr. Warranty Liability

Whenever the actual repair happens, Dr the warranty liability and credit cash or inventory etc.

Key to this problem is the matching method: expenses are tied to the revenue at sale.
    angbev Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angbev View Post
    Warranties
    Bombeck Company sells a product for $1,500. When the customer buys it, Bombeck provides a one-year warranty. Bombeck sold 120 products during 2008. Based on analysis
    of past warranty records, Bombeck estimates that repairs will average 3% of total sales.

1. Prepare a journal entry to record the estimated liability.

2. Assume that during 2008, products under warranty must be repaired using repair parts from inventory costing $4,950. Prepare the journal entry to record the repair of products.

My Question is where do I start? I am not really sure how to start the journal entry.
    Please help!!
    sincerely
    angbev:confused:
    :)I just wanted to thank you so much for your help!
    Sincerely
    Angbev

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Return credit journaling [ 3 Answers ]

This is a question from another take-home quiz. Assume that a company uses a sales journal, a purchases journal, a cash receipts journal, a cash disbursements journal, and a general journal. A sales return for credit on account would be recorded in the: Sales journal. General...

Petty Cash journaling [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, here's the problem, I tried to work it out but getting confused. The company established a pettty cash fund from can withdrawn from its checking account. The entries must be journalized. Here is an...

Journaling [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure how to post an entry when there is capital gain such as sold equipment for 700 paid 2000 for it with a accumulated depreciation of 1500. Debit cash700 Credit equipment 700 How do I post the capital gain of 200?

Need help journaling this [ 1 Answers ]

I am really confused on how the terms of transportation and merchandise should be journaled. Also, the discounts and stuff. Purchased $5,000 of merchandise from Phillips Co. on account, terms 2/10, n/30 Paid Phillips Co. on account for purchases, less discount. Purchased $3,500 of...

View more questions Search