Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cindylumiles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Old Plumbing in SC home built in 1952
    Firstly, thanks for the string of comments about FL homes. I am a "D- - - Yankee" that just bought an older home in SC and am not used to homes without basements. After using drain cleaning products in kitchen and bath sinks, I called in a plumber. He advised me that the galvanized pipes in both areas were rusted and need replaced. What I did not expect was that he will need to cut out both a portion of the back wall of my home and a portion of the master bedroom wall as well for the second sink. Is there any way to avoid this? There is a crawlspace under the house and the plumber advised that my pipes are vented to the roof. (that threw me for a loop;I think northern homes probably vent to the basement. Thanks, Cindy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Greetings Cindy from a Yankee Transplant to Florida. Let's get this out of the way first.
    the plumber advised that my pipes are vented to the roof. (that threw me for a loop;I think northern homes probably vent to the basement.
    ALL vents are run out the roof, no exceptions, location makes no difference. Owing a 55 year old house with galvanized pipes I can sympathize with you;.
    You started with a complaint about your drainage and ended up complaining about your galvanized pipes. is that what the plumber wants to replace? With what? Is your water pressure also on the weak side? Sounds like you have a problem in both areas. Before we can help you're going to have to get specific about your problem and furnish us with a more detailed explanation.
    What second sink? Are you adding another lavatory in your bath?
    Come on Cindy! Don't make me beg for details. Are you asking if repiping your house can be done without tearing up walls? Please set down and put every little detail on a post and hit send. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diff. Between stick built/mobile home hot water heaters [ 3 Answers ]

I keep hearing that you should not use a hot water heater meant for a stick built house in a mobile home.why is this?thanks for any answers-whoever answers... :confused:

Need some infor on a car crash in 1952 [ 3 Answers ]

The car crash happened in 1952 in Colorado at the Colorado river. Four people where in the car that went over the edge of the bridge and crashed into the Icy river. One girl survived one girl was found on shore legs still in the water. The body of one guy was never found but was pronounced dead...

Home built in 1952 with ungrounded wiring What can I do? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I have been reading as much as possible about home electrical wiring and plan to pick up a book from the library and read some more. However I am novice when it comes to electrical am I crazy for thinking I can do these repairs on my own with a little reading (I am a pretty quick study). I...

Home built by husband on family land [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is being sued for marital infidelity. Of which there is no photo proof. The land the home was built on was purchased from his father from a larger block of "family" land. He then spent an entire year building it. He put in half of the money(gained before the marriage), but his wife...

Electrical Rewire a Entire Home built in 1944- 1951 ? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a inspector inspect my home to sell. He identified two prong outlets in kitchen needed to be replaced with gfi outlets. Ok done ! But also mention that several other plugs and 100 amp panel was ungrounded and not safe. Had electrian come out, he reccomened to rewire the entire home for $...

View more questions Search