Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ledhead6879 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Auto accident, whose insurance do I call.
    Hello,
    I got into a car accident a few days ago, and the police report stated that I was not at fault. The other person got a citation. I contacted the other parties insurance company and filed a claim an hour after the accident. My two questions are:
    Am I to contact my insurance as well?
    And what should I expect from the insurance company in the next week or so?
    (Just for reference, my car was an '86 Porsche 944 and it was in excellent condition; it will most likely be totaled out because of the extensive damages it sustained)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2009, 12:12 PM

Generally, you exchange information which includes at a minimum:

Other persons
    Name, address, telephone,
    Insurance company, policy #
    Car, car lic #, driver's lic #

Then each involved contacts their insurance company
    And provides additional details:
    Where, when, what happened.
    Whether police report was filed

Your insurance co handles your car and their insurance company handles theirs and they fight between them what the cost is.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Your insurance co handles your car and their insurance company handles theirs and they fight between them what the cost is.
    I agree with all the above info except the last line... Since the other driver was given a citation determining his/her fault, you can go directly to their insurance company. You'd want to notify your company so that they can advise you if you run into problems. But it'd be fine to call the other insurance company directly to report the accident. If there was a dispute as to who was at fault, then I agree with KISS, that it'd be best to let the insurance companies duke it out. But in this situation, it'd probably get resolved quicker by going directly to the other insurance company.

If you feel that your car is worth more than they assess you can ask for what's called Diminished Value. So if they say because your car is an '86 that it's only worth let's say, $2000... If you have documentation or some way of proving that you could've gotten $3000 for it if sold, then they would pay you that $1000 difference. You would have to have some sort of proof (pictures, a letter from your mechanic, an offer to purchase the car, or receipts for upgrades/new parts) showing that it was worth more than other cars like it on the road today. In other words, some way of attesting to its pristine condition. Keep in mind, this is something that you will have to ask for. Otherwise they'll just cut the check for what they feel is fair and send you on your way.

Also, since the other driver was at fault, their insurance company is responsible for providing you with a rental car for a specified amount of time to either allow for repairs (if possible) or the purchase of another vehicle. Once an adjuster has looked at the car to determine if it would be totaled, then the insurance company will let you know how much longer you can keep the rental car before you are responsible for taking over the rental fees.

Mar 29, 2009, 01:44 PM
    thank you so much for your help. The only thing I've gotten done to the car was replacing the clutch, about a year ago ($2000). I bought the car for $5500, which was a good deal for the condition it was in; (going by eBay and autotrader, and comparing vehicle prices). I bought the car 2 years ago, and going by nadaguides, the car value has gone up by $1000 since then.
    I sure hope I don't have to fight so much to get this all done and over with.
    Oh, by the way, the claims office is closed for the weekend (accident happened Friday night), and so unfortunately, they said I can not get a rental car paid for by them until they review the case... so I had to rent a car out of pocket for one day, so I could drive to work.
    I suppose the adjuster will be the one I will be dealing with from here on? Thx!

Chris
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 02:03 PM

Right, you'll be dealing with the adjusters from this point. Once they look at the car and get the case going, they should reimburse you for your out-of-pocket expense for the rental.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2009, 04:48 PM

Well it depends,

you can expect almost anything to happen.

1. they deny the claim
    2, they offer you about 2/3 of what the claim should be
    3. their adjuster does not show up 2 or 3 times
    4. or they offer you a fair check when you meet.

You get all of the evidence together, prices of similar cars, search for the values and print them out

Mar 30, 2009, 06:42 AM
    UPDATE:

I just contacted the insurance company because it appeared that the adjuster was not in. I spoke with a representative and they said that it could take up to three business days for someone to look at the vehicle. That was not a problem. The problem is that I need a rental car, and they said that they have to hear his side of the story first, since there are other factors involved?! The police report stated he was 100% at fault, I had the right away, and he got cited. What the heck! Now I'm stuck. I have no money for a rental car. :mad::mad::mad:
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 07:23 AM

This is where you talk with your insurance company. If you have Rental coverage on your policy, then they should provide it for you without hassle. If you don't have this coverage, they may provide it but depending how the claim turns out, you may have to repay it.

It typically can take "up to 3 business days" to arrange for the adjuster to look at your car. It could be done sooner, they just want you to be prepared so that you're not expecting it right away (depends on the number of claims that have at that moment).

Call your insurance company ASAP to get the ball rolling on your end.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ledhead6879 View Post
    UPDATE:

I just contacted the insurance company because it appeared that the adjuster was not in. I spoke with a representative and they said that it could take up to three business days for someone to look at the vehicle. That was not a problem. The problem is that I need a rental car, and they said that they have to hear his side of the story first, since there are other factors involved??!! The police report stated he was 100% at fault, I had the right away, and he got cited. What the heck! Now I'm stuck. I have no money for a rental car. :mad::mad::mad:

Do you have rental car insurance? My car was damaged, I wasn't even in it, my insurance company dropped off rental car at my house that night. No problem.

Or are you asking HIM to pay for the rental car?
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    Also, since the other driver was at fault, their insurance company is responsible for providing you with a rental car for a specified amount of time to either allow for repairs (if possible) or the purchase of another vehicle. Once an adjuster has looked at the car to determine if it would be totaled, then the insurance company will let you know how much longer you can keep the rental car before you are responsible for taking over the rental fees.

We are on different sides of the fence here, girlfriend! I don't see that the other driver was at fault because the other driver was ticketed. I want to see what the witnesses saw. I do "these" all the time and the fact that there was a citation means little - the Police are NEVER on-the-scene witnesses and do their best to put things together. And sometimes they are wrong, very wrong.

That's my job - were they right or not?

Mar 30, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Another update:

They heard his side of the story, and determined that I will be covered. Now, my next big mission, to try to get full value of car. ;)
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    Cheriedow2006 Posts: 32, Reputation: -3

Mar 31, 2009, 10:40 AM

Since the other driver was given a citation determining his/her fault, you can go directly to their insurance company. You need to notify your insurance company too.
    First thing... write down the accident details while it is fresh in your mind. Take pictures. Get checked out too! Make a daily log of any pain, etc. If the wreck puts you out in any way, document it. Keep mileage on anything you need to do regarding the accident. It wasn't your fault it happened. I kept a daily log of my pain and my expenses. You need to be reinbursed. Good Luck
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheriedow2006 View Post
    Since the other driver was given a citation determining his/her fault, you can go directly to their insurance company.. I kept a daily log of my pain and my expenses. You need to be reinbursed. Good Luck

The citation is most definitely NOT proof of fault - that's why liability investigators exist (also insurance investigators). They are the ones who review the accident, the facts, the paperwork - and they determine fault.

Police are after-the-fact witnesses. In very rare cases they witness the accident. They are relying on what is said to them. I often investigate accidents when one party isn't even interviewed because that party is in the process of being carted off to the hospital when the Police arrive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Auto accident [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My son was a passenger in a car that was involved in a rollover accident. The paramedics were shocked he survived. I am concerned about him. He is having post traumatic stress symptoms and aches and pains. Where/who can I go to find out his rights and the process I am to follow. The driver...

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident last month, my car was totalled. It was not my fault, this lady cut in front of me. Her insurance paid for my car (Kelly blue book price) and also paid the registration of my new vehicle. I went to the doctor with a neck and thumb strain, also I had some burns...

Proof of Insurance for a no-fault auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently involved in an accident. Unfortunately, my insurance lapsed. I have witnesses that claim the accident was not my fault. However, since I did not have insurance at the time, I do not know what I may be liable for. If I can prove the accident was not my fault, will that mean I will not...

View more questions Search