Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KatieH Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 02:31 AM
    Do athiests believe we have souls?
    I was just curious to know.

I know there is no actual proof of souls, but I know that many atheist believe in ghosts. And ghosts are lost souls trying to pass over right?

I just wanted to see what their thoughts were on this subject.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 04:32 AM

I doubt that many true atheists believe in ghosts, since the general idea (I think) of atheism is that they only believe in what can be proved and there is no proof of ghosts.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2009, 05:30 AM
    Steve is on the mark. I'm an atheist and whether there is such thing as a "soul" makes no difference to my life or the way I live.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 11:25 AM

Soul is a theological word, a religious word. There is no such thing as a soul except in the world of BELIEF/FAITH.

The way many people look at that now is human beings have consciousness and all the aspects thereof.

I'm an atheist(Secular Humanist) and I have never heard that atheists believe in ghosts... quite the contrary! Lol

Atheists are ALL ABOUT rationality and not about blind faith in anything.

Best wishes, :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 03:54 PM

Atheists do not believe in a soul but basically soul means the non physical attributes of you that makes you who you are... your thoughts, your beliefs, your conscience, your free will, emotions, intuition, etc...
    Watchman Nee teaching.
    kiragira Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2009, 08:53 PM

:P I was an Atheist, but because of the ideas of most people I now call myself Pagan.

Atheism is the absence of a belief in a deity. A spirit/soul/ghost/whatever is not a deity--or, at least, not in any religions I've heard of. In other words, saying "an Atheist can't believe in a soul or spirit" is completely untrue.

I was an Atheist believing in ghosts/spirits for a while, so I'm sure there are a lot of us out there. I used to be the "proud Atheist" type, though, and wouldn't admit a belief in anything I couldn't prove existed. XP So a generalization like that... well, the answer should be obvious. Some: yes. Others: no.
    KatieH Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 12:37 PM
    I only said that many athiests believe in ghost believe in ghosts is because I went to a college where I had some atheist friends. And they told me that they believed in ghosts because of the whole energy never stops, or dies subject. And they told me that many atheist believed this. So I just assumed.
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 4, 2009, 12:54 PM

Does atheist not mean denying the existence of (a) god? If so, where is it said that an atheist cannot believe that one goes on to another plane of existence after the body dies? Also, if one cares to research the subject, there are instances of evidence such as EVPs, etc that may lead one to believe there is some credibility to "life after death." I don't see how this belief contradicts an atheist's position on a God or Supreme Being...
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

May 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
    When I think of "soul", I think of an immortal personality- something that never dies and moves on to other levels of being in other places. In other words, a fictional thing.

I believe we have personalities, the part of us that makes us who we are. I believe that when the body ceases to live, the personality dies with it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    since the general idea (I think) of atheism is that they only believe in what can be proved and there is no proof of ghosts.
    Actually that is agnosticism. An agnostic does not believe in anything that can't be proven to their staisfaction.

Atheism is the absence of a belief in a deity.

Whether there are ghosts or not has little to do with whether there is a deity.

The concept of soul has many definitions. People believe or don't believe in a soul depending on their definition of it.
    itsamor Posts: 196, Reputation: 12

Oct 4, 2009, 01:52 AM

No I don't.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 4, 2009, 03:23 PM
    Not being an atheist this is a difficult question to answer. However, I will do my best.

Atheism is a theory which contends there is no God, or if there is he cannot have any influence in the material world. Atheists see the difficulties in proving the existence of God as a reason for not believing in God.

It is also helpful to understand the history of atheism. As science developed over the last couple of centuries more and more of the natural world was given over to a scientific explanation. It has now reached a stage where some people believe that science can explain everything, so God has been completely forced out.

As to whether atheists believe in souls; well I guess that depends on the atheist.
    I tend to think that the majority of atheists do not because they don't or won't entertain any metaphysical arguments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Dogs Have Souls? [ 51 Answers ]

I recently had 2 cancer surgery's and am now clean. But while thinking about dying, I wondered about my dogs. They would be going to the pound if I was not around? While facing death, you think about everything?:rolleyes: So I decided, if I lived to try to save the dogs being killed everyday for...

Athiests more likely to believe in the supernatural? [ 14 Answers ]

I read an article that states that athiests are much more likely to believe in haunted houses, palm reading, alien visits, astrology and communicating with the dead than far-right Christians. It has been my experience that it is the far right Christians that are always making a claim for the...

I can't seem to remember the title of this movie a saw. Lost souls or something [ 2 Answers ]

I saw this movie on the TV a couple of years ago. I think it might have been on lifetime or something, but I'm not sure. Its basically about a family that moves to this new house in the country or the woods. The husband and wife have I think two kids. A boy and a girl. The girl has some kind of...

Are souls and spirits real. [ 11 Answers ]

I guess souls and spirits is the one and same. Mediums can talk to loved ones who have already passed away. Why Would a spirit hang around. I thought they go to heaven right away, and if they do go to heaven can they see us and do they watch over us and if they do how do they do this from...

What if cheeseburgers had souls? [ 10 Answers ]

Really... I was wondering. What would happen in society, if people suddenly found proof to the conclusion that cheeseburgers had souls. Would we stop eating cheeseburgers? Or would we eat them anyway, because they have no pain receptors and so it wudlnt hurt them, and if we stopped eating them,...

View more questions Search