Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Churchfixer Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile
    I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black adhesive that was laid on a concrete floor. I searched prior forums for info and have an idea what I may be up against, but am not sure. Can I lay the new vinyl tile over that black adhesive without causing any problems? I know it must be free of bumps. If I can - great! If not, do I really need to remove all the prior adhesive? This is a ladies bathroom with four stalls and it a lot of surface area to tackle. Also - does the black adhesive potentially contain asbestos - it was laid in the around 1990. Any info you may be able to direct my way would be greatly appreciated.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 6, 2006, 07:21 PM
    If the tiles are 8"x8" these are ore than likely asbestos tiles. You say the tiles have been installed in the 90's so this is unlikely. (same with the adhesive)
    What you may have is a VCT or Vinyl Composite Tile. These are thick 12"x12" tiles that are glued down instead of "peel and stick". You see these in hospitals, schools, commercial buildings, etc. You can purchase these at Home Depot or Lowe's.

As for re-installation, try scraping the black adhesive up or knock down the rdiges of the glue. These type of tile are usually installed w/ tile contact cement. Purchase an adhesive rated for concrete installation. If you can't budge the old glue, I see no other choice except for just re-gluing over the old stuff.

Sep 6, 2006, 08:59 PM
    They are the 12 x 12 thick tiles and definitely not the peel and stick type. The tile is in a ladies room in a church and is definitely a commercial grade so it does sounds like the VCT. Read about the stuff, just didn't know the name. I have the replacement tiles, but now I need to get the "tile contact cement". I also need to get the old ones up first since I plan on replacing all the tiles. A lot are loose, but a fair amount are not.

Do you know off hand how long it takes for the floor to set before it can be walked on? It is a rather busy church and I will not have a lot of time for the whole process. I need to make sure to plan accordingly.

Thank you for your prompt answer. It is greatly appreciated and a tremendous help!
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 7, 2006, 05:51 AM
    When you put the contact flooring adhesive down it has to be dry to the touch. Usually about 15 min to 1/2 hr depending on the humidity and how thick you put it on. I've installed adhesive on large floor areas with a roller or it can be installed with a fine knotch trowel. The brand I use is Parabond Vinyl Tile Adhesive.
    Once the adhesive is dry, start sticking the tiles down. You can walk on it immediately.
    It is recommended that you rent a flooring roller. This is about a 80lb roller that you roller over the tile to help make sure all areas of the tiles are stuck. Again this can be done as soon as you install the tile.

Sep 7, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Skiberger - you have been a wealth of information for me. Obviously, I am a newbie at a lot of the fixing the church needs done. Would love to contract it out, but funds are an issue. I have to save them for all the things I definitely cannot do - like boilers! If you think of anything else a novice should know - I am all ears (or should I say eyes)! Thanks again for all your help.
    dcdavis26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 06:39 AM
    We removed 1979 VCT tile for the gym at our church... there is black adhesive on the cement... the construction will bring in a week and the adhesive will be exposed for several months until the floor is ready to be put down... is it safe to allow children to use classrooms with the adhesive exposed.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Mar 6, 2013, 05:16 PM
    Cutback adhesive from that era has a high probability of containing asbestos, but it needs to be tested.

I certainly would not allow children to walk or play on a floor like that. Allowing children on that floor would be a sure case of someone bringing a suit in court, especially if there was no testing.

The grow up members of your church need to re-think this.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Set Tile Grout [ 7 Answers ]

My Son-in-law Tiled His Bathroom Floor And Did Not Wash The Grout Off The Tiles When He Was Done. Consequently, It Hardened. I'm Wondering Whether There's A Solvent For This Hardened Grout. The Tiles Do Not Have A Smooth Surface, But Rather Many Small Depressions And Grooves With The Hardened Grout...

Removing adhesive residue from wood cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved, and the movers wrapped plastic tape around many pieces of my furniture to keep drawers from opening, pieces from falling out, etc. It seemed okay at the time, but when the tape was removed, some nasty adhesive residue from the tape was left behind on the wooden furniture,...

Removing adhesive on brick wall [ 4 Answers ]

I had a volunteer mount a metal plaque on a brick wall in an outside courtyard a couple of days ago. I went and looked to be sure the work was done, and found that the plaque is where it should be on the brick wall, but there is a yellow contact adhesive dripping from the plaque down the brick...

Removing Ceramic Tile from concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am in th process of removing ceramic tile from my back porch. We are having a pool installed and need the slab scraped clean so they can float it install acrylic deck. I was told by the contractor that the surface needed to be as smooth as possible. Removing the tile was not difficult, I...

Tile floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put a ceramic tile floor in the bathroom. Presently there is 5/8 inch pressedboard for flooring with 1/2 in plywood subfloor. Can I put down a 1/4 in backerboard and tile, or due I have to cut out the 1st level of pressed board ? Thanks Tim:confused:

View more questions Search