Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AcuteFelon Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2009, 08:14 PM
    US felon wishing to start over in another country.
    Hi, I hate to admit it but have no other choice! I am a college graduate have a great husband that is almost finished with his military service and I am a convicted felon. I have tried to start my life over but it's been tough the past 10 years and we are ready to leave the US. I have my passport but am wondering how or if I can get a Visa in another country with felonies in Fraud?

I am tired of people putting me down about my past, especially when I got a raw deal because of my ex husband. People are so judgmental and if you were to see and meet me you would never in a thousand years ever think I had served 21 months in Prison. I have completed my sentence and done all I was asked but still there's that NCIC check and always the "Have you ever been convicted of a felony" question which I always answer truthfully.

We just want to start over, my husband feels awful that I had to go through the things in my past and never get a fair chance anymore.

Does anyone know a country we could live that will allow a US felon to live?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 01:10 PM

This is a very broad question. You should start by asking yourself what do you want to do in foreign country... what kind of climate, culture, etc. You must start with employment first then the visa, etc.

If you've never been overseas before, I suggest travel there and stay as visitor for a while and see if you can live in that environment. Sometimes it's not that easy.
    AcuteFelon Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    This is a very broad question. You should start by asking yourself what do you want to do in foreign country... what kind of climate, culture, etc. You must start with employment first then the visa, etc.

If you've never been overseas before, I suggest travel there and stay as visitor for a while and see if you can live in that environment. Sometimes it's not that easy.

In all honesty, I need to know where I can go before doing any of this...

I was told their were only a handful of countries that I could even live, so in turn finding out what they are is first of my agenda and then I can go about furthering my future!

I have a Bachelors in Business from a Big Ten School, so I am not too worried about finding employment as I have Hospitality, Mortgage, and Public Relations under my career and have Microsoft certifications with many computer programming skills.

We also have plenty of money to start with and enough to support us for at least a couple of years if need be.

I just am asking if anyone knows the certain countries that allow US felons to reside, as most want a police certificate.
    FavTrip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 11:48 PM
    Are you still around? I'm a convicted felon also, but with my background in the military and experience overseas, might have some options if you're interested. I totally sympathize - I'm 30, a single Dad to a beautiful child, an honorably discharged veteran with multiple 'with Valor' awards for my time overseas... and yet two seconds of my life a few years ago has burdened me in more ways than I could ever imagine, when I plead guilty so I could put that incident behind me.

Anyway, if you're around and able, you can reach me through one of my email addresses at FavTrip @ Gmail dot com.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does an ex-felon get a grant to start a business [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an ex-felon and I would like some information on receiving grants or help in opening a business

US Felon wanting to live in another Country. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hate to admit it but have no other choice! I am a college graduate have a great husband that is almost finished with his military service and I am a convicted felon. I have tried to start my life over but it's been tough the past 10 years and we are ready to leave the US. I have my passport...

US Felon wanting to live in another Country [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I hate to admit it but have no other choice! I am a college graduate have a great husband that is almost finished with his military service and I am a convicted felon. I have tried to start my life over but it's been tough the past 10 years and we are ready to leave the US. I have my...

Can a felon get a visa to work in the uk or any other country [ 1 Answers ]

Felon get a visa to work in the uk or any other country

View more questions Search