Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KK2 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2006, 10:54 PM
    Problem networking printer
    I just added a new laptop to my home network. It's a Dell Latitude running windows XP pro. I had successfully been using another (IBM running Windows 98) and had it all networked fine, but I cannot get the printer to work with this one. I have tried setting it up tried to install the proper driver for my printer, but when I install the disk it says that information on my hardware is not included and when I try to set up the printer directly from the installation disk it asks for my printers IP - I have no clue what/where that is. HELP?!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2006, 05:53 AM
    How is the printer connected? Directly to the network or to another PC? What model printer?

Sep 6, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Through another computer. The printer is a Lexmark X4270 all in one.

Sep 6, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Ok, then use the IP address of the computer its connected to. Also make sure File and Print sharing is on and the printer is set as shared

P.S. my condolences on having a LexMark ;)

Sep 8, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem

P.S. my condolences on having a LexMark ;)
    LMAO :p

Okay, now you're going to find out just how "challanged" I am... how do I figure out the IP address of that computer?

Sep 8, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Go to start>Run type cmd to get a command prompt, then type IpConfig to get the IP.

Sep 8, 2006, 11:34 PM
    Thanks, Scott!! You rock!

Sep 9, 2006, 04:36 AM
    More like roll ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Printer problem [ 1 Answers ]

My PC recently went very badly wrong and I was forced to use a recovery disc to start all over again. Most things are working properly except for the printer. I am using Windows XP Home and the printer is a Sharp AJ-2200 using Port LPT 1. It was necessary to reinstall the printer but now it...

Networking a dot matrix printer [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Kindly help me, can you please give me advise on how I can put a Dot Matrix on Printer on a network? What are the tools that I needed. Will I need a hub? JETDIRECT CARD? Or any other tools, please advise me. Hoping for your fastest reply. Thank you very much. br,

How do I move files and share printer when networking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dell desktop as my main computer and a dell laptop, (wireless) as second computer, I installed a Linksys broadband wireless router and I'm able to share the internet connection, but I don't understand how to share files or move them between the two, also need to share the printer and...

Winme and winxp networking problem [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I got (a)winme PC and (b)winxp sp2 PC running a workgroup networking, The question is why I cannot access the file shared on winme fom the winxp PC. I can ping from winme PC to winxp PC but I cannot ping the winxp PC to winme PC. Both the PC can access internet through the same router...

View more questions Search