Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    star25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Finance Leases
    What accounting entries are recorded for finance leases under the sum of digits method?
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 1, 2009, 03:07 PM

The sum of digits method is one of the accelerated depreciation method. You need to convert that into straight-line method, for the use of the installment amount.

Finance lease is also capital lease. Here is the entries:

When asset is leased,
    Dr Leased equipment xxx
    Cr Lease obligation xxx

To depreciate asset,
    Dr Depreciation xxx
    Cr Accumulated depn xxx

To record instalment payment,
    Dr Interest expense xxx
    Dr Lease obligation xxx
    Cr Cash xxx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking leases [ 1 Answers ]

Can I break a lease due to safety reasons? I recently had my identify stolen and we know the person who did it... we are going to the county attorney office tomrorow to issue a warrant for her arrest... Im scared she has friends, etc...

Signatures on Leases [ 1 Answers ]

When I moved into my place, my landlord had two copies of the lease, one for myself and one for him. It says on my lease in clear, capital letters "Sign Both Copies Seperately", but my landlord did NOT sign my copy, he only signed his own. Does this nullify the lease, or is it binding because he...

30 day leases [ 1 Answers ]

If a landlord gave a 30 day lease instead of 1 year, what if any good does this do for the landlord in protecting them from bad tenants. Does the tenant absolutely have to leave with no problems if they don't pay or are trouble after 30 days or do they still have rights to stay.

View more questions Search