Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet
    I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line

The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets filled up with **** and looks like the water when flushed downstairs sometime rushes up.

What could be the problem.

Is there a simple way to find the actual source of the problem.

Any estimate on what would be the cost of fixing this problem.

This is also true when someone uses the toilet upstairs, the water even after flushing when its clean after sometime gets filled with the stuff and it looks like the person didn't flush the toilet after use.
    Any kind of inputs appreciated
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2006, 06:18 AM
    One of the first thngs ab new plumber is taught is that liquid will not run uphill unless it has pressure assisting it. This is a universal law of physics.(Water seeks its own level.)
    You would seem to have found a way to get around that law.
    With a blockage in the main the lower toilet would backup when the upstairs toilet was flushed, It's not supposed to work the other way.
    I've taken this long to say. " In over 50 years out in the field I've never run into this problem. I haven't a clue."
    Since plumbing drainage works on gravity your toilets have apparently repealed the law of gravity.
    It's going to take someone on site to figure this one out and I sure wish it was me. If you live anywhere around Sarasota Florida I'll be more then happy to make a no charge service call. If not please keep me in the loop and let me know what you find out. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet empties when different toilet flushed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes...

Large burping bubbles from toilet when flushed [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a rental property I have been working on and have a problem with the toilet. When the fella who was living there moved out he said that the toilet was not flushing properly, he was right. It would swirl very weakly and every now and then it would barely flush all the way. It...

Bathtub Gurgles and SMELLS when Toilet Flushed [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet is flushed, the bathtub starts gurgling and the smell from the bathroom is terrible. I used a snake for some time, but it seemed to spin fine, the gurgle is maybe a little quieter, but didn't go away. Help... my house smells! -Eric

"Bang" when toilet flushed [ 4 Answers ]

The first time a toilet is flushed in the morning, we get a loud 'bang' sound (very rude awakening!). We've isolated it (I think) to an outgoing problem by turning off the water supply to the toilet and then flushing it. What could be causing this?

Tub drain gurgles when toilet flushed [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, the bathtub drain makes a gurgling noise. There is not any water coming into the tub, but is the sign of a future problem?

View more questions Search