Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CHARTOH Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Instaling my own roof.
    If iI do my own roof,is my insurance void?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 07:17 PM

Do you mean if you have a leak? Your homeowner's insurance only covers "sudden perils" which means in general slow leaks are not covered.

If your roof leaks suddenly due to say, heavy rains and damages your flooring, then yes your insurance will cover this.

But if say due to improper installation you have a leak over several months that causes mold, then there is no coverage provided.

One thing to keep in mind is that as a homeowner you are responsible for regular maintenance of your home so if you incur a loss due to improper installation, then insurance will not likely cover this. If it were the case that a professional installer did sub-par workmanship, then they would be responsible for the resulting damages.

Assuming, since you are asking this question, that you know how to install a roof, then that in no way 'voids' your insurance. As long as the job is done properly, then you won't run into any problems insurance-wise. You just won't have the added protection of a professional guarantee of the craftmanship.

Mar 27, 2009, 11:25 PM
    Thank you for answering my question! I don't have any experience installing my roof, but myself and a friend that does did it. And it came out great no problems. I took before and after pictures of the roof. So I hope that it is good enough to were my insrance co. Doesn't say that the insurance is void.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 09:15 PM

Just because you did the repairs/installation yourself, this will not void your insurance. As long as you're confident that your work meets industry standards where you won't have any issues with leaks, lifting shingles, etc. then you're fine. Are you worried about something specific other than leaks?

Apr 1, 2009, 10:00 AM
    No.. Not worried about leaks at all,I was just worried that my insurance would be void because a friend and myself did the work. As far as lifting of shingles, this is Oklahoma and I do not have any trees what so ever to protect my house from the wind. So if some shingles blow of I guess I will have to go up and fix it. But I'm very confident that I will not have that problem. At least for the time being.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2009, 05:46 AM

When you do a shingle roof you need to tar under every shingle at the eave( bottom/dripedge area).

Also as you work your way up with your shingles at the rake edge (leftside/rightside of the roof) you should tar under every shingle at that end.
    This will prevent the shingles from blowing off.

When a roof starts to fail that is where they start to flop and with a spot of tar under the eaves and the rakes your roof will be worry free.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 10:02 AM

There are a number of ways to do the drip edge area which is the most important. The most robust way is to:

1. Use weather and rain paper (ex: Grace ice and water shield) at the edge and within a certain distance of the inside wall This is a self-adhesive paper.

2. Use a starter strip. Alternately you can cut shingles and install them upside down on the first course. Not recommended is to use a double layer as the starting strip.

Install a drip edge.

Make sure the shingles hang about 3/8 of an ince over the drip edge.

Use chaulk lines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Instaling a shower in a basement [ 2 Answers ]

So I bought a old home with a finished but not furnished basement. Unfortunately the shower was not installed. So I asked around and so far I have the hole leading to the sewers all done and the drain installed. Now I need to know if I have the rest correct: I'm going to fill the space between the...

Instaling a halogen light [ 3 Answers ]

OK -i have a problem.. I have a electrical box with 2 single pole(I believe)switches with one switch(left )has two black wires and a ground which I'm not sure what it controls what outlet in the room and the next switch(single pole?)with a red wire and black wire(hot?)going into the switch.Both...

Diagram for instaling belt on 42" craftsman mower [ 1 Answers ]

Please direct me on how to install two belts and which belt first?

Instaling 2 shower heads/regulator [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to install 2 shower heads with independent controls for temperature on each side of my shower. 2 people could use the same shower and have their own shower head and setting. I would use the same hot/cold feed to split from, and was wondering if the pressure and/or temperature would be...

Instaling new flange [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a house and my wife wanted tile floor. So we took out the existing toilet and installed tile. When I went back to replace the toilet I discovered that the existing flange was installed incorrectly. The slots for the bolts were up and down instead of left to right. Because we have a...

View more questions Search