Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 27, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Red Wine Health
    I have heard of the many health benefits of red wine and I was wondering if certain kinds are more healthy than others or are they all about the same. I always pick a dry red wine, because I have to watch my sugar intake.
    eat well getfit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 03:13 AM

I teach diet and nutrition for a company I want to set up on my own can I do this by taking information off the net and delievering this myself
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 04:25 AM

Hi, as an avid red wine drinker and a biochemist I have been taking a keen interest in reports of red wine health effects.

However I believe you really have to be careful when assessing the health giving benefits of red wine. Yes it contains antioxidants - but are the active when absorbed through the GI track?

There are a few studies showing moderate drinkers live longer than teetotallers. However correlation and causation are not always the same thing. Perhaps the longer life could be due to a more relaxed attitude rather than any health giving effects of the tipple.

Also the studies showing red wine is healthy are also poorly designed, often not matching the drinkers and non drinkers in other respects. For example many people do not drink because the cannot due to existing illness- can they really be considered to be a non drinking control? Their illness that makes them not drink is also probably why they then shown to live shorter lives.
    ALCOHOL -- HEALTH BENEFIT OR HAZARD?

Polyphenols in wine have been shown to inhibit an enzyme involved in heart disease and stoke- preventing atherosceloris (Cabernet Sauvignon being the best aparently).
    BBC News | HEALTH | Why red wine is healthier

Another polyphenol resveratol has been shown to decrease plaque formation in alzhiemers- however it is in too small quantities to have any effect when consumed in wine.

Wine Health » Red Wine and Your Health

Then there is the ethanol, it raises the risk of cancer, heart disease, liver disease, neurotoxicity, diabetes amongst other diseases.

In conclusion you are probably deluding yourself to think that red wine is giving you health benefits.

My attitude is you have got to die of something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking wine vs dry red wine [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all: Thank you for reading/responding to this post. I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help...

Are games good to health or bad for health [ 12 Answers ]

I always play games but my family says it bad for me but I ignore them

To Wine Or Not [ 1 Answers ]

To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine... and those who don't: As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at...

Know my career,my fathers health and my moms health [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am sonal,studying in t.y.bsc in microbiology. Usually attending college is like a burden for me,I fear a lot in public attention,sometimes even start shivering while giving presentations,due to fear I can't even concentrate in my studies and get poor marks even ,I don't feel like going to...

Wine Age [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, totally ignorant here... but, I have a 1967 Bottle of Château Beausejour bordeaux table wine... first, is it still going to be any good? Second, if I don't drink it, is it worth anything of value? Thanks!

View more questions Search