Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALISHIAK6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Can my hubby adopt my 2 kids without my ex's concent
    Ihave got 3 kids, my oldest 2 is to my ex who is in jail and will be there for the next 17 years. I have been married for just past 2 years now and would like my husband to adopt my 2 oldest. They think my hubby is there dad and don't know any different so would he be able to adopt them without my ex's concent?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 03:30 PM

NO.It does not matter where he is ,he still has parental rights.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2009, 03:31 PM

Maybe. You do need to try to obtain his concent first and doing so will make things easier. But the fact that he is in jail could allow you to terminate his rights involuntarily.

Since you will need to get a lawyer to prepare the adoption petition, then the lawyer will deal with this issue for you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2009, 06:23 PM

Comments on this post
    artlady agrees: I looked it up and my impression was that it is not considered abondoment if the person is incarcerated as long as the child has a primary caregiver.I could be wrong,o.k. no more legal answers from me.I promise!

It wouldn't be abandonment. But there could be other grounds to force termination.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hubby wants to adopt but bio father doesn't agree [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My daughter is 4 yrs old and my husband wants to adopt her. Her bio father is in Prision and gets out April of 09 and told his mom he wants to be in her life (he is NOT on the birth cert. )and now so do they... but where were they the last 3 (his mom only seen my daughter 4 times, 3 which I...

What's the first step for my Hubby to adopt my son? [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 11 years old. I have been married to my husband since Nico (my son) was two weeks old. We live in Austin, TX. Nico's father has never been around and is currently in jail. We want Nico to have our last name. What is the first step in making this happen?

How Can My Hubby Adopt My Daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it a lot. How can my husband adopt my daughter? Her biological father is not on the birth certificate, would this make it easier? The only father she knows is my husband. Please advise, Thanks! Sincerely, Andrea Lewis

View more questions Search