Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jay78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Detached garage pad
    I am trying to get some information on building a garage starting with the Pad. I am planning on building a 22X26 detached garage. The rough grade was completed about 4 months ago. It is a clay base with no topsoil added yet. Should I get a bobcat in to remove a couple inches or just pack down the clay as it is? Then do I bring in sand or a gravel/sand mixture. If I want a heated floor do I need a water supply or is there another option? I live in Edmonton, Canada and it gets pretty cold here so if I put a water supply in, It has to be about 4-6 feet under the surface (I think) What do you recommend? Thanks for your time
    Jay
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 6, 2006, 06:46 PM
    That's a big pad to pour for a DYI'er. You may want to leave that to professionals especially if your putting heat in the slab.

I'm not to familiar with the "great white north"... eh.. except for skiing.

You may want to check with your local building codes as far a concrete slab installation. As for your heat, if you put radiant floor heat from a boiler you will need a water supply to the boiler or you can go electric radiant floor heat.
    Jay78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2006, 08:58 AM
    Thanks for the idea about the electric heated floor. Sounds interesting. I am going to Call the concrete guys in my area and see what is required up here in Igloo country! Thanks for the reply. Talk to you again.
    Jay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Detached garage grounding rod or not [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just ran across another problem. I will be running 40 amps 240 volts out to my garage via underground 8-3 plus ground. Do I need a grounding rod at the garage or is the ground via the service cable to the garage enough? I have seen both and am not sure why. Is the 240 volt service to the...

Detached garage panel install, please help [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am running 8-3 underground in pvc conduit and am wondering: 1. How high up the garage wall I should come up before entering the garage (I guess this means how high the panel will be on the inside as well)? Any code for this or is whatever height is comfortable good enough? 2. Also, I...

Washer hook ups in detached garage [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to move my washer and electric dryer from their present location off the kitchen, to the back inside wall of my detached garage. It is approx. 35' from the back of the house, to the location in the garage. My house has no basement, but has a crawl space underneath. I 've checked...

Mice in ceiling of semi-detached house [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. I am a new owner of a semi-detached house. I have heard very occasional skittering in my living-room ceiling and suspect mice. I have looked both on the outside and inside the house, but can find no obvious entry point. Could the mice be in the walls and/or coming in...

Garage FLoor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Our garage floor is concrete slab, and is in rather poor condition, i.e. the slab is chipping. Are there any materials that can be put over the floor to relevel it without having to repour the concrete. My main reason for asking this is that an epoxy or polyurethane coating over the...

View more questions Search