Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sam2009 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 07:45 PM
    Can't boot windows xp ?
    Can't boot windows xp directly , boot.ini have error ?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 10:28 PM

What exactly is error and when do you get it?

Do you get into windows at all?

Have you tried anything so far, if so what have you tried?

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 27, 2009, 12:36 PM

Put the Original Operating System Disk in the drive and reboot the computer, select the boot option to boot from disk and during the XP setup, selection, select option 2, Repair using the recovery console. At the DOS prompt, select the particular installation (usually #1) and supply the administrator's password (note, this is the actual account named Administrator, not any other user who was created and given Administrator status).

At the C:\Windows prompt, type CHKDSK /r and let the recovery console run, depending on how severe the issue is, it could take up to an hour to finish.
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Apr 1, 2009, 03:51 PM

Check out the following for information:

Advanced troubleshooting for general startup problems in Windows XP

10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows XP won't boot [ 4 Answers ]

My friend has a laptop, a Fitjitsu Lifebook 5 series which is her work computer. It was running a couple of days ago and is only a couple of months old. Her three year old daughter managed, in the couple of minutes she was out of the room to somehow turn it off. Now when you try to boot the laptop...

Windows won't boot up [ 2 Answers ]

Hello and thanks inadvance, my nephew was pluging in his audio while his desk top was booting up. His finger hit the power button and now the unit wouldn't boot up. I've tried to go into safe mode and it gets stuck when I try to scroll up to safe mode. I've tried to do a repair with my XP home...

Windows XP does not Boot [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn on my computer The Windows load screen freezes so I cannot get into windows. PLEASE HELP ME:(

Can't get windows xp to boot. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, My home computer which is a Sony Viao with Windows XP unexpectedly won't boot up after my daughter used it. It says that I need to select a boot device but doesn't give options to choose from. Does anyone know what needs to be done?

View more questions Search