Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Handyman4U Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Cdrom/DVD which I don't have
    My dvd rewriter stop working and I noticed I have a cd rom I shouldn't have.

Any help would be great
    Thanks Gerry
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 01:39 PM

It's probably showing your DVD writer drive as a CD drive because the drivers are missing or damaged. Un-install the drive (in control panel) reboot and re-install the drivers.

What version of windows is this?
    Handyman4U Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva View Post
    It's probably showing your DVD writer drive as a CD drive because the drivers are missing or damaged. Un-install the drive (in control panel) reboot and re-install the drivers.

What version of windows is this?
    I have XP running. I have did everything, uninstalled drivers, disconnected dvds, and on reboot it's the only dvd drive that shows.

I think maybe a virus or something.

Thanks for help
    Gerry
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 27, 2009, 01:05 PM

In this case, which is a rare one, I would use the System Restore feature and roll the system state back to two days before you had the issue and see if that doesn't fix the problem. Generally your CD/DVD drives disappear after un-installing certain burning programs. There's a simple registry fix for it that involves removing upper buffers entry, Google for it, it's not too difficult to do.
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 02:48 AM

Hi,
    First please check the cd and dvd drives in the BIOS and set the primary and secondary master/slave then check it whether showing in the my computer or not . If still not able to see in the my computer then you resolve the issue by deleting the upper and lower filters.
    More information see this article:- Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cdrom [ 2 Answers ]

My computer does not see my cdrom

Cdrom [ 7 Answers ]

I just built a Computer with a Biostar M7ncd Ultra nforce2 socket A motherboard, and a new Sempron 3300 with 1 gig of memory, I can't get it to recognize or find my CDROM, at the startup screen when it searches, it shows up, and also in the BIOS< but when I get to windows it's not in explorer or my...

Cdrom [ 1 Answers ]

My cdrom in windows98 SE platform is not reading the cdrw written in the winxp platform -using nero(another computer). But it is reading the cdr written in the same software. When I am accessing the cdrom to open cdrw - it is telling device is not ready. But as I said the cdr is opening in the same...

Cdrom atapi incompatible [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a new computer over the Internet, and it looks like I can't get the cdrw to work. This is a bare bones type, so there is no OS. When I switch it on, the message Sec Master Drive - ATAPI incompatible appears. The HD & CDRW are on separate cables, so 2 masters are allowed, right? The...

View more questions Search