Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpowl15 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 12:31 PM
    The average power output of the engine of a truck?
    What is the average power output of the engine of a truck when the truck travels up a 6km long hill out of an open pit mine? The truck with the load, has a mass of 160,000kg, and starts from rest at the botttom of the hill. When the truck took 42 seconds to reach the top of the hill. The average drag force on the truck during the time it is moving is 200N
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 01:59 PM

First figure the work the truck does:

1. The truck lifts itself out of the mine. For a truck of mass m, the work to do this W = m*g*h, where h is the vertical climb. You don't tell us what that value is - I assume you have a diagram or something that you can get this from, right?

2. The truck does work overcoming drag: W = force * distance, or 200N * 6 Km.

3. Finally, given that the truck accelerates from rest, the work to overcome the inertia of the truck is W = m*a*d, where a is the acceleration of the truck and d is the distance over which it acceerates. You don't give enough information to determine what the value of a is - did you leave something out?

Add these work elements togeter to get the total work done by the truck. Then divide that work by the time it took to do it (presumably 42 seconds) to get the average power output. You'll have to do some messing with the units to get it to come out right.

One last thing - if the truck indeed travels 6 Km in only 42 seconds it is one fantastic truck! Are you sure you have the right data here?
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 27, 2009, 03:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    One last thing - if the truck indeed travels 6 Km in only 42 seconds it is one fantastic truck!
    True, but applause for the driver : going uphill with 160 tons at some 514 Km/hr.
    But even it that were 42 minutes and 8,6 Km/hr, I still take my cap off to him or her ! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Use inverter to increase power output of a generator [ 7 Answers ]

Hello does anyone know if it is practical or even possible to amplify the power of a small generator using a large watt inverter? Say you have a 2 or 3 HP 1000 watt generator and you hook it up to a 5000 watt inverter. What kind of power will you be NOW able to generate? Doesn't the horse power of...

No power output from Kipor 3000 TI [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with an answer as to why my kipor 3000 generator all of a sudden just quit producing power, It's only a yr old and not used very much at all. I noticed the light indicating a power overload, but at the time the only things working off it, was a couple lights and radio of our RV....

Power output? [ 3 Answers ]

The question asks about 782 N marine climbing a 12.2 rope in 6.58 And it asks what is the power output And answer in W. What is w And what is the power output Is it the same as work and W is just a fancy way of saying joules or what Please help

Power output of an inverter [ 1 Answers ]

How do I increase the power output of a DC to AC inverter say, up to 2000W-3000W Please, help me I am desperate.

Generator power output cuts in and out [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a Coleman Generator a few months ago and I have it connected to an inverter. The inverter is connected also to 16 "deep cycle" batteries and usually powers the house from solar panels. Everything has been working terrific until last night when the generator began cutting in and out. It...

View more questions Search