Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wishingtan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Cutting a doorway into a center support wall in the basement (cement block)
    I would like to cut a 4 ft hole into my basements center support wall. This wall is cement block, and spans 40 ft down the center of my house. Above it are perpendicular floor beams that are 25 ft long. There is one doorway already cut towards the center of the wall, and that is 4 ft wide. I would like to cut another doorway closer to one of the sides, so I can access the other half of the basement easier. Will I need to put in floor jacks or a header of some kind? What is the best way to knock this block out? Are there any dangers to be aware of?

Thank You!

DC
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 12:45 PM

The best way to make the opening if this is an unfinished basement is rent an electric concrete saw. Plastic in area. Use a pump sprayer with a buddy here and spray saw blade while you are cutting. Just enough water to keep dust down but not drown saw.

Or rent a demo/chipping hammer to make the openings. You need to temporally support the joist in front of the openings. Now remove the opening all the way to the house joist. In that area you should use concrete lintels for the door header then block up to plate.

No real dangers here as long as you temp brace/post the joist where the door is going.

I cut doors and windows opening all the time through out the year.

You can use a wooden header but I like to keep it masonry to masonry. Wood shrinks and you really can't mortar wood in to attach to block for a header. Plus it may be the fact I'm a mason and its just as easy to set a concrete lintel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut doorway through cinder block [ 7 Answers ]

What is the proper procedure to cut a doorway through cinder block? The cinder block wall is an interior wall that I want to access through from one room to another? It is not a weight bearing wall.

How to support a load bearing wall, need engineer, cement wall [ 3 Answers ]

I want to remove about 6 feet from an interior wall. The rafters run parallel with the wall but the reason I think it's load-bearing is because one of the trusses rests on the middle of the wall with a lateral x across it. I have existing pictures and a drawing of "the existing" and what is...

Adding Basement Door by cutting concrete wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need more space in the house, so I am getting my basement done. The basement only has an entrance from inside the house, but I would like to make another exit directly from outside. The wall I have to cut through is a brick/concrete wall but I am not sure if cutting through it would bring...

Install door in basement block wall [ 7 Answers ]

Hey Guys. My basement has no fire exit. I want to put an exit door in my basement wall so I can finish the basement into a rec room. It is an external load bearing block wall and has a 18"x12" window at the top of the wall with timber framing above. Bsically, I want to enlarge the window to fit...

View more questions Search