Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busybee226 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2006, 03:33 AM
    Rental
    I didn't realize that all we had to do to remove tenants at will was give them a 30 day no fault notice to quit with no reason. Instead I stated that my children will be moving in. Now I would have to have a good reason if I was taken to court why they didn't. What would be a sufficient reason that they didn't move in? The more we thought about it they just couldn't afford the full rent and my husband is on disability and we can't live on less.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2006, 03:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by busybee226
    I didn't realize that all we had to do to remove tenants at will was give them a 30 day no fault notice to quit with no reason.
    True if they are on a month to month occupancy.

Quote Originally Posted by busybee226
    Instead I stated that my children will be moving in. Now I would have to have a good reason if I was taken to court why they didn't. What would be a sufficient reason that they didn't move in? The more we thought about it they just couldn't afford the full rent and my husband is on disability and we can't live on less.
    I don't understand this part. If the tenants don't pay rent, then you can file eviction, which does not require a 30 day notice.. . and what do you mean by "if I was taken to court"? I don't see anything here for you to get sued about.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2006, 05:19 AM
    If there is no written lease, you are on a month to month rental, either party has the right to give the other a 30 day notice to move out. No requirements to tell them why.

If you were on a rental without a lease or a month to month written rental, so at this point you lied to get them to move out, not a nice thing to do but you gave them a 30 day notice for a lie but you still gave them a notice. You do not have to tell them why the other person did not move in, it is none of their business.

If you were not on a lease they have no grounds to take you to court as long as you gave them a 30 day notice.

If you had a written lease with them and violated the lease, you may owe them penalties according to the terms of the lease.

Now if you are renting a house out, you need to learn rental laws or you don't need to be renting a house out, since you will either cheat the other people or you will be cheated trying to do things you don't have to.

So why did you really want them out? Not paying, tearing up the house,
    There needed to be a reason, since a person does not kick out a good renter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment rental [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I live in an apartment complex in Volusia County, in Florida. I have never signed a lease where I reside, and I assume that this makes me month to month, and have lived here 9 months thus far. I have been complaining about a leak from my air conditioner and its poor functioning for quite...

Rental Fee [ 2 Answers ]

Once upon a time (last April 2005) I looked at an apartment and thought I really liked it. (It was a September rental and we were on top of things) So my roommates and I paid the fee to hold the apartment so nobody else could rent it for the time being. 2 days later after a little more research...

Rental laws.. [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living in the same apartment for 17 months, we pay $650. With utilities included... also included w/ the apartment is washer/dryer. After living here for 3 months the dryer broke and we have repeatedly been asking for this to be fixed. Our landord is a dumbass and still has not...

Kansas Rental Law [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a house from a private landlord and just recently found out that the roof in one of the rooms leaks. Unfortunately, I found out by discovering my $2000 keyboard soaked and destroyed after a rainstorm. I'm curious if there is a liability law stating that my landlord will have to cover the...

Rental Laws [ 25 Answers ]

What are the legal do's and don't of a landlord ? Can they enter your apt. anytime they want without your consent ?

View more questions Search