Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thesoundofwings Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Removing flooring glue from hard wood installation
    We just installed new hardwood flooring. We have used two different types of flooring adhesive. The first was the only one sold at Lowe's and comes up from the flooring where it has been spread easily, add water and the swipe of a cloth.

The other adhesive was purchased when we ran out of the first. (I know, it is best to stick with one type, this was not an option). I am not sure the base of the second adhesive, but I know that would be helpful...

Well, after working on the flooring with the new adhesive we discovered that it is not easy to remove from the flooring. (Are we just messy, or does installing flooring usually result in getting the adhesive all over the floor?) It will not even come off hands unless peeled off.

Any tips or suggestions for removing this stuff? I am upset because the wood is beautiful, and I am fearful our brand new flooring is ruined.

Help please!
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 26, 2009, 10:31 AM

The container the adhesive came in should have clean-up instructions, some are water based and others may require mineral sprits for clean-up.

Mar 26, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amricca View Post
    The container the adhesive came in should have clean-up instructions, some are water based and others may require mineral sprits for clean-up.
    The container is covered with the adhesive, and now unreadable. Will the mineral spirits likely damage the finish?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 26, 2009, 10:40 AM

Can you read anything off the container? A name, a brand? Can you go back to the store where you bought it and look at a clean can? I would test a small spot on some scrap flooring or an area that is not noticeable first if your going to try some harsch chemicals.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 10:58 AM

If you have a scrap of flooring you can test with a solvent to see if it damages the finish. Goof Off, Goo Gone, mineral spirits probably will not harm the finish and yes you folks were a bit messy, sorry. Was this a laminate or engineered lumber floor, 3/4" hardwood is not laid with adhesive.

Mar 26, 2009, 11:33 AM
    I figured it was atypically messy. (thanks for the honesty)

This is engineered cherry flooring. Recommended to use adhesive or nailing.

I just called the store the new adhesive came from and apparently it is urethane adhesive. Any experience with this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 12:00 PM

I would try the other stuff first but you may need to buy some onlinefloorstore | Bostik Urethane Adhesive Remover Quart

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cameric over limoleum flooring with what kind of glue [ 1 Answers ]

Ceramic over linoleum

Glue rising from between wood slabs [ 1 Answers ]

My contractor installed an engineered wood several months ago. Recently I noticed that glue is coming up between the slabs in some areas. I hadn't noticed this before. Why is this happening and can it be removed? Thanks

Getting tape glue off wood furniture [ 3 Answers ]

The movers put packing tape on my wood furniture. The backing(glue) remaind on my furniture when I removed the tape. How do I remove it without destroying my furniture? Thank you so much. Kathy

Hardwood flooring glue on sheetrock [ 1 Answers ]

We just had hardwood floors installed, and some of the glue got on our door jams and sheetrock. Do you have any suggestions for getting it off the sheetrock. We have started scraping it off the door jams, and will probably sand them and repaint, but I'm not sure what to do with the sheetrock. ...

View more questions Search