Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raulirma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 08:25 PM
    Cast Iron Pipes
    What is the best way to clear cast iron drain pipes as a step towards making future preventive maintenance cost effective and less labor intense? Is there a preferred cutter to use on a rooter machine that could accomplish this? Is there chemicals that are safe to use that can assist the process. I am working at an apartment complex in the maintenance department and I have experience clearing drains. The manager ask me the other day about what I've ask in my question. He wants to spend the money and time to do this and I like to be able to do it right. Thanks John
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 10:30 PM
    Not a plumbing expert, but this is what I've heard over time...

I've been told to flush waste and vent systems with a garden hose each spring and fall, though I've not followed this advice myself.

Also my father in law regularly put some chemical tretment for roots down the drain once a year... I think he used the same chemicals that they use for algae treatments in pools... copper sulfate I think. After having his lines mechanically augered, he used this to treat for roots every year.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Hi John,

"Is there a preferred cutter to use on a rooter machine that could accomplish this?"
    For pipes 3" and up we use a Ridgid K-60 sewer machine. For pipes 2" andunder we use a Ridgid K-50 machinhe. I also carry a 1/4" hand held snake to clear lavatory drain lines inside walls.
    For outsides sewer lines that have a root problem we use a K-60 with a cutter tip. To control roots after you finish call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    For inhouse blockage we use a auger tip.

"Is there chemicals that are safe to use that can assist the process?"
    I'm no fan of putting harsh chemicals down your drainage. Besides, they only seem to work in TV commercials. The only sure way to remove a blockage is with a snake. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

DWV cast iron cut [ 1 Answers ]

1) What's the best way to cut a 4" cast iron soil pipe that is against the wall of the house so I can't get a snap cutter chain around it? related: 2) Is there an adapter to connect 3" pvc (toilet drain) to a 4" cast iron hub on the main stack? Thanks

Disconnecting cast iron pipes. Neo gasket [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a bath and shower. The bathroom didin't have a bath install. The shower drains into the main 4" drain (cast iron), which also services the toilet. I want to run the bath and shower drain inline to the main drain. I am having a problem with removing the cast iron section from the...

Cast Iron Tub Installation [ 1 Answers ]

What do I put an old cast iron tub on. Can it sit directly on a new ceramic floor? Would I have to put something under the feet? It will be quite heavy with water in the tub.

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

View more questions Search