Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windy-1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Legal age of leaving multiple kids alone over night
    I am trying to find out what age is legal for a child to be alone with 2 younger siblings in ontario,I understand for a lone child its guaged on maturity but what about other kids with the child,can they be left alone eveynight over night 5 nights a week? thank you for your help
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2006, 11:52 PM
    Well I'm not from ontario but I do know that if I left my kids alone every night for 5 nights, I think they need to be mature enough to fed for themselves, clean and cook.
    I would say probably 16 or more so even 18.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2006, 07:50 PM
    Windy-1,

I am not 100% sure, but, what are the ages of the children?

I think the age for babysitting is 12. To stay home alone by yourself is 10.

However, there is also the concept of maturity. Is the older child mature enough to take of themselves and others on their own?

I know when I was 14, I was in charge sometimes overnight of my younger sibling. I never had a problem, but then, I was mature at 14.

Sep 5, 2006, 08:56 PM
    The ages for the kids are the eldest is 11 will be 12 in dec,the other 2 are 7 &9 and maturity of the eldest isn't that great.The kids are alone from 11 pm to 7:45 am and the father seems to think having a cell phone will save the day if there's a fire,break in,storms anything.I watched them for 4 yrs and I can't tell you how many times the middle one fell out the top bunk,woke up with bloody nose(he gets often),they all wake up during any kind of storm I can't count the reasons they have gotten up and the dad had a girlfriend move in temporarily when she moved out last month he decided they were old enough to be left alone and at 7,9 and 11 I don't think so .So I asked last night where the boys are and he told me they are alone with a cell phone while he's at works and got snotty when I told him how stupid that is and he said he comfortable with it and it's legal.I tried to explain being left alone is up for discussion with 1 child not when he's responsible for 2 more so young,he said well we have great neighbors(meaning me) well how am I supposed to react if a child comes to my door at 2 am and I have no clue what's going on cause the fathers hidden the fact he's left these kids alone!? Am I supposed to cover it up for him? I won't! Thanks
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2006, 11:53 AM
    I would call the police, and file a report. That way you are covering your own neck in case anything bad ever happens.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2006, 12:28 PM
    The police will probably refer you to the local Family and Children's services agency. Probably best to go to them directly.

Sep 6, 2006, 01:32 PM
    Thank-You both I did call Children's Aide (they are 4 blocks down the drive from here) and a worker that had been involved few yrs ago when mother was put out of house is now back involved.I know he will hate me forever but my husband and I couldn't function knowing they were alone there.This person an afford chold care he works at one of the big 3 car plants in the city here and is just being stupid about the whole thing but I feel better knowing they aren't alone,again Thank-You
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 16, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by windy-1
    Thank-You both I did call Childrens Aide (they are 4 blocks down the drive from here) and a worker that had been involved few yrs ago when mother was put out of house is now back involved.I know he will hate me forever but my husband and I couldnt function knowing they were alone there.This person an afford chold care he works at one of the big 3 car plants in the city here and is just being stupid about the whole thing but I feel better knowing they arent alone,again Thank-You
    No. Thank you for watching out for the welfare of these children.
    Jen8446 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 06:57 PM
    i am trying to find out what age is legal for a child to be alone with 2 younger siblings in ontario,i understand for a lone child its guaged on maturity but what about other kids with the child,can they be left alone eveynight over night 5 nights a week??thank you for your help
    It depends on how mature the oldest is. I would say at least 14.. at least. But it also depends on how old the 2 younger siblings are, if any are under 5, I wouldn't leave them alone until the oldest is about 16 or 17. You have to be careful not to give a young child too much responsibility. He/She might not be able to handle it, and if something happens, might be too scared to tell you about it.
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 09:14 PM
    i am trying to find out what age is legal for a child to be alone with 2 younger siblings in ontario,i understand for a lone child its guaged on maturity but what about other kids with the child,can they be left alone eveynight over night 5 nights a week??thank you for your help
    I don't think as a parent of children the about the same aged children, I would ever leave my children home along at night. It's one thing leaving them home for a couple hours. To many things could happen. Sounds like he doesn't want to pay for child care. I think your right-and should do something about it. What that is I don't know-I would call CPS and tell them the situation and if they feel warranted in investigating then they will. Can you take the kids? If he has custody maybe you should take him to court to get full custody of them. Since he isn't providing the needs that the children need.
    LucyJ194 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2010, 07:42 PM
    I have a son who is 15 years old and he babysits my neighbours kids and their friends overnight, while they're parents were out. They are about 10 and 11. At first I was concerned that something might go wrong so I hesitated but then I let him babysit them and everything went smoothly. Nothing ever happened, so I recommend that 15 years and older is a very resonable age to babysit overnight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thinking of leaving [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, to everyone here, I have read some the posts and answers and this site is great! Well, my post tonight is regarding my marriage.My husband and I have been married for 6 years with 3 children 14-5-2.Though we live a comfortable lifestyle, my marriage is not a good one... my husband is not home...

One Bad Night [ 9 Answers ]

:-[ Hello: I am in a dillemma. A few of my friends went out to celebrate a Birthday. We all went bar hopping & such. Everyone was quite intoxicated. However my dillemma is that I ended up taking a ride home (he was working at the bar & sober) from this cute guy I have been flirting with on & off...

Is my cat leaving her kittens? [ 10 Answers ]

I appologize for bothering you for this concern. A couple of days ago, I adopted a pregnant cat from the shelter (because they usually end up euthenizing them since nobody wants them) and she had 7 kittens yesterday from noon until 6:30. She's been really good about feeding them, but earlier...

Leaving Home [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had to have my 20-year old son get his own apt. I needed to open up a room for his older brother who was coming home from prison and had to stay with me. It is myself, my fiancé and 14-year old who live there and now my older son. But my 20-year old is angry about having to move. For...

View more questions Search