Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2009, 10:52 PM
    What good works do you do?
    Today's Gospel (Jn 5,31-47): Jesus said to the Jews: «If I bore witness to myself, my testimony would be worthless. But Another One is bearing witness to me and I know that his testimony is true when He bears witness to me. John also bore witness to the truth when you sent messengers to him, but I do not seek such human testimony; I recall this for you, so that you may be saved. John was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you were willing to enjoy his light. But I have greater evidence than that of John —the works which the Father entrusted to me to carry out. The very works I do bear witness: the Father has sent me. Thus he who bears witness to me is the Father who sent me. You have never heard his voice and have never seen his likeness; then, as long as you do not believe his messenger, his word is not in you.

»You search in the Scriptures thinking that in them you will find life; yet Scripture bears witness to me. But you refuse to come to me, that you may live. I am not seeking human praise; but I have known that love of God is not within you.

»For I have come in my Father’s name and you do not accept me. If another comes in his own name, you will accept him. As long as you seek praise from one another in­­stead of seeking the glory coming from the only God, how can you believe? Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father. Moses himself in whom you placed your hope, ­accuses you. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?».
    Above we see that Jesus had good witness to who he was including the good works that He did.
    He also told us to let our light shine that others may see the good works we do and give the glory to God.
    True that some folks will not do see that but others will.
    Our good works are a witness of our faith in God.
    :confused:So, what good works do you do so that others can give the glory to God?:confused:
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 06:55 AM

I moved to an assisted living facililty this month, and I am the youngest person here on my floor by 20 years.

I take time at every encounter with my fellow residents to listen to their stories and ask questions that I know they will love to answer. My meal table mate, Gladys, is 88 and sharp and a dear heart. We have a good relationship going. My other table mate, Mary, (there are four Marys on our floor incluing me) is about 86 and has memory problems. She has a cute sense of humor so I tease her, and she teases me. That keeps her mind off constant repetetion of events in the past.

There are other fun and interesting residents who have their own stories.

The staff is much younger, so I can talk to them at more my style. :)

I'm an atheist/Secular Humanist, not a religionist.

Best wishes, :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 07:03 AM
    My main focus is to raise two great kids that hopefully will be independent, empathetic, and have the will to make other happy.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 11:39 AM

To brag about the works of my hands is being arrogant and boastful. Therefore, God and only God will know what works my hands do to glorify him. Others will see my good works and deeds but will understand that to brag on them is wrong in Gods eyes.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 11:51 AM

I live each day trying to treat others the way I want them to treat me, sadly I don't always succeed.

I am also trying to raise two great kids that will love the world they are blessed enough to live in, be kind to others, be the best people they can be. If they grow up happy, independent and kind, I've done my job.

I collect used clothing and other household goods for the Salvation Army.

I deliver gifts at Christmas through Santas Anonymous. My kids come along, it's always a very emotional time and makes them realize how very lucky they are.

We also buy a gift for Santas Anonymous every year. Sydney picks out a toy for a girl in her age group, Jared picks out a toy for a boy in his age group. It really makes them happy to give something to a child that might not get anything for Christmas that year.

Am I being arrogant and boastful? No, these aren't things to boast about, because we don't do them to gain God's favor. My family does these things because we can and we want to.

When you see tears in a child's eyes on Christmas because you brought them one small gift, that's payment enough.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 12:27 PM

When I wake up my prayer is to ask God to give me opportunities throughout the day to do his work.
    He always finds something for me to do :)
    It could be as simple as holding a door for someone but there are endless ways to be of service.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Much thanks to all so far.
    I think that...
    It is not bragging when someone asks what you do.
    Bragging is when you do it over and over again without being asked.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Pets Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Much thanks to all so far.
    I think that....
    It is not bragging when someone asks what you do.
    Bragging is when you do it over and over again without being asked.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    I agree Fred. Wish I could give you a greenie. Will this do? :D
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 09:24 PM
    Altenweg,
    I does quite well for it is the thought that counts.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 08:19 AM

Definition of bragging:

Brag (brg)
    v. bragged, brag·ging, brags
    v.intr.
    To talk boastfully. See Synonyms at boast1.
    v.tr.
    To assert boastfully.
    n.
    1. A boast.
    2. Arrogant or boastful speech or manner.
    3. Something boasted of.
    4. A braggart; a boaster.
    5. Games A card game similar to poker.
    adj. brag·ger, brag·gest
    Exceptionally fine.
    Pets Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Definition of bragging:

brag (brg)
    v. bragged, brag·ging, brags
    v.intr.
    To talk boastfully. See Synonyms at boast1.
    v.tr.
    To assert boastfully.
    n.
    1. A boast.
    2. Arrogant or boastful speech or manner.
    3. Something boasted of.
    4. A braggart; a boaster.
    5. Games A card game similar to poker.
    adj. brag·ger, brag·gest
    Exceptionally fine.
    Thanks for the english lesson Donn.

If you don't want to discuss the topic then why post? No one is forcing you to tell us what good works you do.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    To brag about the works of my hands is being arrogant and boastful. Therefore, God and only God will know what works my hands do to glorify him. Others will see my good works and deeds but will understand that to brag on them is wrong in Gods eyes.
    Not necessarily:

2 Corinthians 11:16-18 (King James Version)

16I say again, let no man think me a fool; if otherwise, yet as a fool receive me, that I may boast myself a little.

17That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting.

18Seeing that many glory after the flesh, I will glory also....

22Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.

23Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.

24Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

25Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

In thus recounting his efforts for the Gospel, St. Paul was not boasting, but giving us and example:

1 Corinthians 11:1
    Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 08:19 AM

I help people think properly.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    ....Our good works are a witness of our faith in God.
    :confused:So, what good works do you do so that others can give the glory to God?:confused:
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred
    Daily Mass

I attend daily Mass with my family. I do so because I love God and want to praise Him and be united to Him frequently. But I believe this gives good witness to other families.

Prayer

My prayer life is personal, but I don't keep it hidden from my own children. I want to give them an example and direction.

I homeschool my children:

I believe it is the parents' responsibility to teach their children in the right way to live. If my children do not turn out to be responsible adults, I have no one to blame but myself.

Volunteering

My recent schedule does not permit me to do so as frequently, but I used to volunteer at the Parish pantry, as a catechist, and in whatever situation was needed as time permitted.

Tithe

I keep my finances personal, but I reveal here that we tithe regularly and usually more than the minimum 10%.

Evangelizing

I consider this a ministry and evangelize for Christ through the Catholic Church on the Internet whenever I have an opportunity.
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 08:30 PM
    De Maria,
    Thanks much.
    And yes I think your efforts here on askmehelpdesk are not only a good work but also a calling from the Lord.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote works, light works, fan humms does not turn [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Hamton Bay fan with a remote/no pull chain. The light on the remote comes on and does properly operate the light on the fan. It also turns on and off a humming noise but there is no movement from the fan itself. Of course, the house did not come with an owners manual. Is...

Fridge works TOO GOOD! [ 2 Answers ]

What makes a refrigerator run continuously and never cycle off. The freezer part anyway. It's a year old Kitchenaid side by side. I have the temp settings at the warmest setting. I can hear the fridge side go off, but not the freezer. The temp in the fridge is below freezing where it should be...

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Good firewall that works with corporate VPN [ 3 Answers ]

I am a telecommuter that accesses my company's network everyday over VPN. I don't currently have a firewall installed on my computer because I've heard they can be tricky to use with VPN. Can anyone recommend good firewall software that won't be difficult to use in conjunction with my company's...

View more questions Search