Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ann S Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
    Finding a break in invisible fence
    I have about 5 acres in an invisible fence for my dogs. It is not buried but just laid on top of the ground, but several years worth of leaves have covered the wire. It is no longer giving a signal even with new collar batteries. Is there any inexpensive way to find out where the break in the line is? I can't visually find all my connectors. Thanks, Ann S
    stingRay18 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann S View Post
    I have about 5 acres in an invisible fence for my dogs. It is not buried but just laid on top of the ground, but several years worth of leaves have covered the wire. It is no longer giving a signal even with new collar batteries. Is there any inexpensive way to find out where the break in the line is? I can't visually find all my connectors. Thanks, Ann S
    I have no specific experience in doing what you are asking, however, I like to try to solve problems and since no one has posted a response let me have a go at it.

Extech DV30 AC Voltage Detector - instrumart.com

This voltage detection device seems to operate at low voltage (down to 12v AC). Safety is of course a concern so you must act accordingly. If you get a low voltage energy limiting transformer, like the ones that are used in your furnace to supply voltage to the thermostats, then this can act as a source of safe low voltage.

So the plan would be to:

-1- purchase this or a similar low voltage detection device.
    -2- purchase a 24vAC energy limiting transformer
    -3- have someone who is capable of wiring electrical devices disconnect the invisible fence wire from the system
    -4- safely connect the 24vAC supply to the invisible fence wire with one end also connected to earth ground (get an electrician if you don't have the experience).
    -5- then, staring on the hot side of the circuit (the one not connected to earth) walk out half way and find the fence wire and see if voltage can be detected.
    -6- if not, the break is before that, so divide that first half in half again and repeat -5- and -6- until you find the break.

I hope this helps or at stimulates someone who has done this before to supply a more refined solution.

Be well.
    stingRay18 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2009, 09:21 AM

I forgot to list the last steps:

-7- after finding the break, disconnect the 24 VAC
    -8- then fix the break
    -9- then reconnect the fence wire and re-test the system
    -10- if OK emit a little "woo who" :)

Be well
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 31, 2009, 09:28 AM

Seems to me the easiest thing to do would be to rake the leaves away to find and expose all of the connectors and restore the signal?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

Finding the transition to single life a little tough, after a recent break up [ 1 Answers ]

So, if you are unfamiliar with my story, you can check out the link below to my original thread https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relationships/torn-between-love-anger-96059.html. Here is where I am at right now: It's been a while since I have talked to my ex. But, I still find myself putting...

Adopted dog afraid of invisible fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... I have an adopted Pointer (had him less than 2 weeks) who will not go outside without a struggle. He was trained to an invisible fence last year when he was at the rescue, but was in a chain like fenced yard since December in a foster home. He has received no correction, has only heard the...

Invisible dog fence electric use [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, our invisble dog fence is rated "12V, 850mA" How do I figure out how much electricity this fence is using/unit time when it's on? Thanks much.

View more questions Search