Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charisma22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Steam from shower making my bedroom smell
    Hi!
    I have an unventilated bathroom in my master bedroom. Every time I take a shower and leave the bathroom door open into the bedroom, there is a very horrible 'stinging your nose' type of smell. I cannot tell where the smell is coming from in the bedroom. I'm assuming it is steam activated, because it is only there when I run the shower. It seems to be close to the bathroom door. I've tried washing the curtains and the screens and the windows. I cannot think what else there is that could be causing that smell. I know this is a hard question to answering with out witnessing it first hand but any ideas would help.

Thanks!
    Charisma
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 25, 2009, 11:17 AM

Might want to have a company like steam master come out to check for any mold related issues within the walls. I would get a fan installed and use it every time you shower as well. There must be a window if there is not a fan so open that up when you shower in the meantime.
    Harry Dunbar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 08:10 PM

You NEED a fan to vent out the moisture. It isn't usually even an option anymore for new homes or renovations.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Apr 4, 2009, 05:26 AM

Yeah, the major problem here is that you don't have a fan. I would have the fan vent through the roof, but there are a few different options with that. Where I live code requires either a fan or a window in a bathroom. But the way I take showers, no open window is going to remove enough moisture. I actually had water problems where the walls meet the ceiling before I went and installed the most powerful fan I could find. I installed a 300 cfm fan with a 3.25"x10" exhaust in an 8'x8' bathroom. Overkill... maybe. But I have NO moisture problems anymore. I just need to make sure to the bathroom door is slightly cracked to avoid vacuum issues.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Apr 5, 2009, 10:46 AM

You could try a mold resistance paint that are made for bathrooms
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Apr 5, 2009, 06:51 PM
    LOOK WHO JOINED THIS FORUM! :) Harry Dunbar. Hi Harry! :D

Harry is an expert tile setter from Ontario Canada. He is a true craftsman in our business, probably no "tile" question he can't give the correct answer to?

Harry also has his own "TILE FORUM" called North American Tile, located at Ceramic tile installation. Shower construction, floor and wall tile. where you will find many articles and step-by-step procedures of various tile projects. Be sure to also stop by "The FORUM" located at, North American Tile - Forums powered by UBB.threads™ You will find both interesting I'm sure. :cool:

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fish smell in Bedroom [ 7 Answers ]

I have a really odd fishy smell in my bedroom which comes and goes. I live in an old terrace house which has been converted into 3 flats, my flat is ground floor and my bedroom used to be the old lounge of the house. It has an open fire place but the smell doesn't appear to be coming down the...

Bad Smell in Bedroom - Fishy! [ 17 Answers ]

My 17 yr old sons bedroom has, for the past 2 months, had an awful smell - like strong fish - which really catches the back of your throat! I know most people will say all boys rooms smell - but this is different! It started two months ago - for no apparent reason. His sisters say it is him - he...

Fishy Smell In Bedroom! [ 2 Answers ]

I suffered from this ailment as of recently and couldn't figure out the culprate it always appeared in different area's of the room and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally found the problem, we had a 100W bulb in a 60W socket, and it was burning/melting the base of the ikea lamp we...

Musty smell in bedroom - dry rot? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother lives in a large 1930s bungalow and one of the spare bedrooms has a nasty musty smell. I noticed it on going in there when she was on holiday. The house had been shut up but the smell was not in any of the other rooms. It has a redundant chimney in it and I noticed that there was no...

Damp Smell in Bedroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, all. On one side of my son's 2nd floor bedroom, a musty smell will become noticeable every time we close his door more than 1/2 way for more than 10-15 minutes. This has been happening since we moved in 2 months ago. It does not coincide to rain and comes back after you air out the room. ...

View more questions Search