Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Sep 4, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Iguana: Hydration tips
    I'm the proud new owner of a green iguana. Many of the resources I'm reading state that adequate humidity level is important for their health and their ability to shed.

First, I have a hygrometer, but none of these resources define exactly what "adequate humidity" actually is.

Second, the only tip I have seen for increasing humity is to use a spray or mist bottle and mist the aquarium several times a day. I have done this, yet the humidity still seems to be decreasing (according to the hygrometer) execept for a short increase after a good spraying. Also, as I work during the day, I won't be able to spray for most of the day. Are there any tips on how to increase the humidity or maintain it even when I'm not around?
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Sep 7, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Do you keep a pan of water in the enclosure? We had a heated floor and a pan set down into it, kept the humidity at the perfect level
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Sep 7, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Melinda, thanks for responding. This is a juvenile iguana (3 1/2" SVL, 13" STL) so for his/her first year, the habitat is an 29Gal aquarium. I have a bowl for water, but not a lot of room for a large evaporating pan.
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Sep 7, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Well, if your top is screened, you could place a thick sponge, the type you get for cleaning? (about 3 inches thick) on the top, but I've placed them inside the aquarium when mine was small, he never tried chewing it. Use warm water and wring a bit out... should do while you're gone
    botsford Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Sep 15, 2006, 07:56 AM
    The type of substrate that you use can help with humidity. Try one that is made of coconut husk. This substance absorbs water very well, it often comes as a compressed brick that you re-hydrate before use. Keep it uniformly damp but not wet in the enclosure and the constant evaporation will help. Spagnum moss also works well. Covering a third or more of your screen cover with plastic will help contain the humidity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much do tips [ 4 Answers ]

What is the right amount to tip a hair stylist? :o

View more questions Search