Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoser4000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 06:39 AM
    "Zero" between Hot and Neutral, but Hot Neutral and Hot Hot to Ground
    Hello! Our neighbor plugged in her vacuum yesterday. It ran for a second then shut off.
    All circuit breakers were set (and cycled off-on just to make sure).
    Troubleshooting: Hot to Neutral showed 0V. Hot to Ground showed 115V. Neutral to Ground also showed 115V.. Changed out the outlet and still have same indications. And (obviously) the circuit breaker isn't popping.
    Any advice? Thanks!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2009, 06:59 AM

There is an "open" neutral somewhere.

Check the connections of the neutral (the wirenuts) and make sure they're tight. Make sure the neutral wire coming from the plug is actually in the bundle and securely fastened. It might be in another box or even in the circuit panel. There could be a broken wire, but that is somewhat less common.

If you can guess at the route the wire takes, you can check the outlet that you think comes before this box in the circuit. It's likely along the same wall or an adjacent wall. Wires are normally run in a reasonable fashion (otherwise, it takes too much wire).
    hoser4000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 07:26 AM

Perito. I'll give all those recommendations a try. Thanks for the quick reply!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"HOT" Neutral wire in outlet box? Cause? [ 4 Answers ]

Using outlet box with power and 3 neutrals(tied together/insulated) I want to use for adding a light fixture. Separated wires and found voltage on one of the neutral wires (measured ground wire to N). Any condition where power on the neutral lead is OK?

2000 mtd 42" cut rider will not go into neutral [ 5 Answers ]

when I went and picked this mower up (it had been sitting in a guy's backyard for 2-2 1/2 years), it went into neutral fine. We were able to push it onto the trailer with no problem. But, when I got to my house, and went to back the mower off the trailer, I could not get the thing to go into...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Ground and neutral bar [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a 4 wire, 50 AMP GFCI for my hot tub. My question is at my main breaker for the house where I'm taking power from, which bar is neutral and which bar is ground, or does it matter? Thanks Fred

View more questions Search