Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostnspace Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Truck camper
    Hello, I am getting a truck camper (slide in) given to me. My question is will my truck be suitable for using it. I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 laramie with 8 ft. bed and powered by a 360ci. I am sure it has enough power.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 04:43 PM

I think it should be fine. Make sure your supplemental transmission cooler works well. I'd only use full-synthetic engine oil and transmission fluid, if you use the camper a lot.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 05:27 PM

How big of a camper? What is it's weight? Since you did not supply enough information about the camper no one can safely tell you it will be find. So I will tell you your truck is not suitable for any camper except maybe a pop up one designed for a mini truck.
    lostnspace Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 05:34 PM
    I know I didn't supply much information because I simply don't know yet how heavy it is. All I can say is that it is currently in a ford 4x4 6cyl so I'm thinking maybe some helper springs or something of that order.
    tallay83 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
    It will have plenty of power. I can offer some items you can check.

1. Always adjust tire pressure for load and double check load ratings on rear tires. Low tire pressure places a lot of strainon the entire drive-train.

2. Consider changing the fluids in the rear and transmission.

3. Make sure you have a heavy duty radiator and a premium thermostat.

Remember, take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing camper toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to remove a camper toilet but the nut and bolt holding it to the floor both turn. Is there an easy way to remove this bolt? Thanks

Camper shells [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find a camper shell or topper for my truck. What is the right way to measure the bed?

1986 El Paso Camper [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has a camper and needs to run wire from where the AC is. She tells me that the wire that is there now is for an air conditioner and she needs to down size the wire to a 12 volt wire. Problem is we have no idea how to do this. I told her I believe that if the wire in place now holds so...

View more questions Search