Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladiluckii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Being Taken Advantage of.
    Ok here are the details:

I live in the state of Florida. My boss is the OWNER of the company I work for and they're both terrible. When I was hired I was told that my weekly salary was a SET salary- I signed a paper saying that I made X amount of dollars per week. I was also told that my hours were Monday-Friday 6:30am-3:30pm... However, since working there nothing I was told upon being hired was true... My salary is NOT a SET salary. If I miss a day due to illness or even if there isn't enough work and HE asks ME not to come in- he garnashes my wages. At times I go get to go home early however there have been several times I've stayed until 6:30 or 7pm and get NO extra pay for doing so... He says that it evens itself out... However this information was NOT made privy to me when I was hired. I don't know what to do- he is playing with my money but in this recession, I do need my job. What are my options??

& just to let you know how crappy things really are- upon being hired I was told that I would receive a daily 1.5hr lunch break, however, today was the FIRST day I've ever sat down and had lunch while I've been working there and I've been there nearly 3 months. And that limited time was the 7 minutes it took me to eat my food.

I think that he is racist against black people because he is always making comments in regards to the music I listen too... And I have seen several black people come in for an interview and never get hired. (black men in general) some of which seemed very qualified for the position, but I've also seen him do interviews with Caucasian people and he even speaks to them differently. I know that there has only been ONE black person hired in the 3 years he's been in business (a female college student) & she nolonger works for the company...

What should I do?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 01:50 PM

Quit. Find a company that treats you better and doesn't say one thing and do something different.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 26, 2009, 06:54 AM

I know how hard jobs are to find, so I will not say quit although in a better time and place I would.

He is working you as an hourly employee and not a salaried employee. That is not illegal for him to do. It is also not illegal to not pay for work not done. You can be salaried an non exempt which means you are hourly being paid in the form of salary.

What is illegal is if you work overtime and are not paid overtime pay. If you work over 40 hour a week than you should be paid overtime for all the hours over 40.

Unfortunately the state of Florida does not have a department of labor, as it was closed by the state of Florida.

Breaks and Lunch periods are not legally required by law so there is nothing you can do. The state of Florida has no Department of Labor and the Federal does not require breaks or lunch periods for anyone over 16.

If you feel you have been discriminated against I would contact the US EEOC office of the U.S. Department of Labor.

If you can prove discrimination you can find an attorney that will take your case on contingency and it will not cost you until the case is resolved and then he will take a portion of the settlement for payment. Discrimination against you because of race or color is illegal and the company can be sued for discrimination.

In addition if you do quit because of discrimination or because you are not being paid all of your wages it would be considered a reason to quit and you would still be allowed to draw your unemployment until you found another job.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A guy took advantage of me. What should I do? [ 19 Answers ]

I recently made a big mistake. Ive been talking to a guy that I work with and I could tell he is the type that just goes from girl to girl but I didn't want anything sexual out of him. I let him know that I'm not the type of girl that has sex with people I barely know and that I didn't really...

Taken advantage off. [ 3 Answers ]

My friend has been taking advantage of me for awhile, but recently he owed me $60 because I bought him $20 worth of gas, paid for his dinner $10, spent 5 hours replacing his front bumper $30 (was going to charge him $60 there was a lot of extra cosmetic work that had to be done), and bought him a...

What is the advantage of 480 over 220? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a welding operation and just bought a new building. Is there any advantage to having 480 over 220?

Taken advantage of [ 7 Answers ]

I am a bisexual female, and I have many problems but one of the most frequent and hurtful problems is that I am always getting taken advantage of by guys. I like talking, I like experimenting, I like being different and actually listening to what they have to say, and so far that hasn't worked for...

Taking advantage or what? [ 10 Answers ]

So I got this job a little over 3 months ago through a temp agency, when I interviewed they said I would be a receptionist/ admin assist. I do NOT do any reception or admin assist. I am in the shipping dept. handling mail and shipping and receiving. When I started working they offered me $13, which...

View more questions Search