Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mee09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Connect laptop to cpu (tower)
    I want to use my cpu as an external hard drive for my laptop. That way I can access via my laptop, files from my desk top PC. How do I connect my lap top to my cpu?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 04:18 PM

Short answer

Without a router or switch, you could connect a 'Crossover LAN Cable' to the ethernet ports of each machine and then you have to enable file sharing on the desktop PC so that the laptop can get access to the files
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2009, 04:58 PM

I would get a router so you can share the Internet and files and other resources in an LAN
    mee09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Hi and thank you for your help. I'm glad to know that it can be done. Now I just have to figure out what "Crossover LAN Cables and ethernet ports" look like so I know if I have them or not. :o Both my Lap top and desk top are old.
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    Short answer

Without a router or switch, you could connect a 'Crossover LAN Cable' to the ethernet ports of each machine and then you have to enable file sharing on the desktop PC so that the laptop can get access to the files
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2009, 08:37 AM

Unless they are REALLY old, like they came with a version of Windows earlier than XP, they should have ethernet ports. Ethernet ports look like larger phone jacks.

A corssover cable will be labeled as such, but before you go out and purchase one (its unlikely you have one), we might want to see if there is a better alternative.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 25, 2009, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Unless they are REALLY old, like they came with a version of Windows earlier than XP, they should have ethernet ports. Ethernet ports look like larger phone jacks.

A corssover cable will be labeled as such, but before you go out and purchase one (its unlikely you have one), we might want to see if there is a better alternative.
    Even if age is a contributing factor, I think it's probably better to use the router suggestion as a basis to start with. Implementing a router into your aged network will give you a greater amount of flexibility as well as scalability for your home usage. Plus, file sharing through a router is pretty easy to set up and doesn't necessarily require the use of a cross-over cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Easiest way to connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista

How do I connect my laptop to a Tv [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knows how to connect a laptop to a TV using a s-video cord? I have a HP Dv6000 entertainment PC

Connect laptop to PC [ 1 Answers ]

Right, my mam has got a new computer and she said I can have the old one... one problam... it doesn't have a moniter.. Is there a way I can use a cable to connect my laptop to my PC (without moniter) and use it for extra hard drive space? I can borrow a moniter if I need to to set it up ...

How I can connect PC and laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi sir, I have one qution. How I can connect PC and laptop with cross over cable? If you want any chang in my PC then tell me. Please tell me about ip address of both PC. Please give me step for connection.

How to connect laptop to PC [ 9 Answers ]

I've been meaning to transfer the files from my laptop to PC for a while and today I've finally bought Ethernet crossover cable... But unfortunately I do not know where to go from here. They are both running XP with SP1. As I want to transfer files form laptop to PC, I understand laptop is going...

View more questions Search