Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jon09822 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2009, 08:35 AM
    I am hoping to find some advice on here -- I have a janitorial business. Im pretty confident with the pricing of the homes and apartments, however, when I went to an apartment complex, they asked me to quote them also on their office area - which Im definitely not quite sure as to how to do that. I want to be fair, but, because I am going to be cleaning out the apartments - I want to sort of cut them a deal, but, NOT really under charging on the project. This is for a huge company out here - so, I have potential to get a lot of work with other complexes as well.

The office area itself is approx. 2600 sq. ft. Inside the office is a library area, two small kitchens. It has carpet and tile, so, it would need to be vacuumed and mopped as well. It also has inside it a small computer lab, with about 5 computers that will need to be dusted and vaccumed. They have 15 windows, 13 regular size, with top and bottom and two large windows, top and bottom, with the big blinds on it that will need to be done.

Outside is two bathrooms. Also, separately, is a small laundry room with about 4 of each machines which will need to be wiped down and mopped. Next to that in a separate room is a small fitness room with about 15-20 pieces of equipment.

If someone could PLEASE help with some advice, Id be VERY appreciative!

Thanks

Jon

***** For the record, Im in Jacksonville, Florida.*****

I also forgot to mention that she wants to have it cleaned once quarterly.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 02:27 PM

Hi, Jon09822!

I just merged your three, separate posts into one post in order to avoid confusion here. I know just the Expert on this site who will be able to assist you the best here, and that is Stringer.

I'll let him know about your question.

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2009, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Jon09822!

I just merged your three, separate posts into one post in order to avoid confusion here. I know just the Expert on this site who will be able to assist you the best here, and that is Stringer.

I'll let him know about your question.

Thanks!

Thank you for fixing that! Now, I don't look like an idiot, LOL. Im glad you commented because I have been reading your info on how to get some good advertising and would like to see if you could help me as well.

I appreciate your help!

Jon
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 02:51 PM

I'll be glad to help you with the advertising part and I'm sure that Stringer will be along sometime when he's available.

I need to go now, though... I'm usually on here really late at night and was just checking in.

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 03:40 PM

Thanks for letting me know Clough.

Hi Jon,

Jon, listen to what Clough tells you about advertising, take his advice and work with him, you will benefit.

I have read your thread and there is a lot we can discuss that hopefully will help you. At the moment though, I am quite busy and cannot stay long, only a minute or so.

I will be back with a list of further questions that will help me to dissect your situation and hopefully help you, after you deal with these... OK?

A few quick ones;

How long in the cleaning business?

What area of the country? Suburbs or city areas.

Do you have written specifications from your client?

How many days per week is this cleaning?

Who provides supplies (not cleaning supplies-you do) but trash bags,paper towels, TP, hand soaps, stc.

Are you responsible for stripping and refinishing the hard floors (VCT? Or what types of hard floors?)

Will you be cleaning the carpets?

Are you saying that you will be cleaning the windows? Inside and out? How high off the ground?

Are you saying that there are a total of eight machines in the laundry room? (Confused on this one?)

Fitness room: Are you responsible for cleaning and wiping down the equipment? Each day?

Like NO OTHER business... the statement: "time is money" applies. Normally, 65 to 75%of your monthly charge to a client is labor or labor related.

Do you have employees (or sub contractors) working for you?

Do you have an operations program put together?

Do you have a customer service program put together?

Are you incorporated? Do you have business insurance?

This is a small start... please respond to each question clearly as best you can. And we can go from there.

Last question and a little off the 'how to part', how big do you want to get? Have you put together a business plan?

Stringer

Mar 24, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Hi Stringer -

Thanks for your time - I will try to answer each question the best I can...

How long in the cleaning business?

I have had my business since 2003 - however, I am just now really getting into it - I have had some jobs - doing residential - but, nothing commercial -- I have had a contact to get into doing this - so, this is where I am now..

What area of the country? Suburbs or city areas.

I am in Jacksonville, Florida - close to the city.

Do you have written specifications from your client?

I don't have anything 'written' from the client. I had originally gone to meet with the Property Manager to discuss cleaning out the apartments - this is just something that sprang up when I met with her - we basically walked around and she showed me the areas that needed to be done.

How many days per week is this cleaning?

She only wants it done once every quarter - this is what is throwing me off ---- I think it would have been easier for me if it would have been once a week, or, even once a month, however, this one really threw me for a loop, lol. I am confused because in one aspect, it will be more maintenance - which in one of my thoughts, would be a bit more - however, when I consider the other side of the spectrum, Im only going to be in there for approximately two and a half or so hours, do I charge more or less for that --so, again, this is my struggle on giving a quote. Now, as I had mentioned before, I had originally went to this complex to meet her to discuss cleaning the move outs for the apartment complex. This is where Im in a dilema on what to charge. This is a huge lead I got from someone I met higher up in this company who helped me get my foot in the door. I don't want to under charge, but, not over charge, because there is a lot of business to get from this company - with other apartment complexes and offices...

Who provides supplies (not cleaning supplies-you do) but trash bags,paper towels, TP, hand soaps, stc.

Honestly, that was not discussed - I would probably not provide anything but the equipment and cleaning chemicals.

Are you responsible for stripping and refinishing the hard floors (VCT? Or what types of hard floors?)

The floors are linoleum type floors and carpet. She did mention after we cleaned she would have the floor waxed -

Will you be cleaning the carpets?

I would, but, at this point the only thing discussed was mopping and vacuuming.</b>

Are you saying that you will be cleaning the windows? Inside and out? How high off the ground?

I will be cleaning the windows. There are 15 windows. All but two of them are regular sized windows - top and bottom. There are two larger windows, top and bottom. The inside would be cleaned. They all have those big blinds on them as well which will need to be dusted.

Are you saying that there are a total of eight machines in the laundry room? (Confused on this one?)

There are a total of eight washers, dryers in the room that would need to be dusted and the floor mopped. There are a total of four doors in each area that have glass that would need to be cleaned. They have two bathrooms in the same area out there that need to be cleaned.

Fitness room: Are you responsible for cleaning and wiping down the equipment? Each day?

The equipment would need to be dusted down each quarter and floor vaccumed.

Now the MAIN office area is about 2600 sq. foot. It contains one office area, two small kitchens, a library and a clubhouse area. It also has a small room with computers in it that will need to be cleaned.

Like NO OTHER business... the statement: "time is money" applies. Normally, 65 to 75%of your monthly charge to a client is labor or labor related.

Do you have employees (or sub contractors) working for you?

Right now, I am going to do the jobs myself - I do someone who does just help out - Now, one of the debates Im having with myself is when I do have to hire people, should I just subcontract them out or just hire them? I am, at this point, leaning more towards the subcontracting -- your thoughts?

Do you have an operations program put together?

I do not, at this point - I will probably pursue that as I grow. Honestly, I would have no clue as to how to start that - but, I have come this far, I could figure that out when the time comes.

Do you have a customer service program put together?

Not at this time, I AM the customer service, LOL

Are you incorporated? Do you have business insurance?

I am incorporated and I do have a business license. I am also insured - it was a requirement to even get contracted with this company.

Last question and a little off the 'how to part', how big do you want to get? Have you put together a business plan -

I have not put together a business plan, however, I am really starting to progress to another level with the business. I haven't done much with it before due to the last job I had - I worked at a job which dealt with a lot of properties so I didn't want it to come in conflict with the business - I have since left and now, Im trying to pursue this avenue.

I hope this helps! Also, again, reading the threads on the advertising, Im definitely wanting to get some input from Clough - I have clicked on the links posted and that's how I would want my business to be! Im sure glad I stumbled onto this site!

Thanks!

Jon
    Business Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 09:01 PM

Thank you for your responses Jon, your answers are a good start. At this point as far as the actual planning and running a service contractor cleaning business I would suggest that you research 'cleaning', 'cleaning service/s', 'janitorial', 'office cleaning', 'building cleaning', and like terms in the search box on the top of your thread here. You will find a ton of information to read that will bring you up to speed in some areas of your questions.

I will get back to you on your responses tomorrow Jon as I am beat tonight. You will find from reading these posts that I suggested that some of my answers that I give you have already been discussed but that is not a problem. Each situation is somewhat different and that is good as it will personalize it to your particular needs.

By the way Jon, since you are new, might I suggest that if any of this helps you in any way it would be nice to have you 'rate' our answers. Pretty much the credit we receive if we are able to help someone as we do this to primarily help others.

Thanks,

Stringer

Mar 24, 2009, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Thank you for your responses Jon, your answers are good start. At this point as far as the actual planning and running a service contractor cleaning business I would suggest that you research 'cleaning', cleaning service/s', 'janitorial', 'office cleaning', 'building cleaning', and like terms in the search box on the top of your thread here. You will find a ton of information to read that will bring you up to speed in some areas of your questions.

I will get back to you on your responses tomorrow Jon. You will find from reading these posts that I suggested that some of my answers that I give you have already been discussed but that is not a problem. Each situation is somewhat different and that is good as it will personalize it to your particular needs.

By the way Jon, since you are new, might I suggest that if any of this helps you in any way it would be nice to have you 'rate' our answers. Pretty much the credit we receive if we are able to help someone as we do this to primarily help others.

Thanks,

Stringer

Ok, thank you. I am supposed to call her back tomorrow - actually, today, but, she was not in, so, I will just try to hold off until I am more comfortable with my decision.

I will do the search and read up on it when I have some time. I have been kind of browsing all over and reading some posts - so, hopefully, I will learn a lot more. I know it's a learning process - that's actually how I started. I had no clue about starting a business, but, did a lot of research on how to do it and that's how I got to where I am - so, Im sure all information here will be beneficial to me as well.

I would be more than happy to help with the rating - not quite sure how to do that yet, but, I will figure it out. LOL.

By the way, I moved here from Chicago - I still miss it there. I lived around the Waukegan and Vernon Hills area when I lived there. I miss the snow - as crazy as it sounds. When you live here and there is no snow for Christmas, its just not the same.

Mar 24, 2009, 09:29 PM
    Stringer -

I had asked your opinion on the 'subcontracting' aspect, however, I just stumbled on your post about your experience.. It seems more like it could turn more into a headache if anything, so, now, Im definitely going to re-think that whole idea.
    Business Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 09:54 PM

Click on 'Rate this answer' at the bottom of the post Jon to rate.

I am very familiar with those areas, nice up there. I am in the area around Naperville. I have been to most of the areas in FL worked in Miami for about two years. My business partner and I have a 3,000 sq ft condo in Naples.

Ok, since you need this right away but I don't like to rush anything that is about business I will give you a chance to short cut this a little. But Jon, I normally would want you to do this with much thought and consideration to do it the right way and learn for future dealings.

Since you are doing this yourself presently you could use an hourly rate. Sit down and figure about how much time it will take you to do EACH area individually, how many hours. Arrive at a total amount of hours for each day and how much you can accomplish that day. Normally for residential cleaning which includes a lot of detail you can clean about 2,000 sq ft or so per hour. At this time, possibly use this figure.

You will have to approximate the square footage for each area, or better yet measure it or get it from her, arrive at the total sq ft and then charge an hourly rate. This rate will have to be broken down to include all your costs; insurance. Taxes, supplies, (ALL of your overhead) etc. Add your profit (remember, per hour) no additional labor since you are it at this time.

I hate to do this with out doing the due diligence necessary to do it right, but possibly a rate of $17 to $20/21 per hour. As you get more business and can amortize your costs that rate can come down.Possibly consider the lower/middle range...

Jon, at this point I have to tell you that any price that you choose has to be your decision, not mine, this is only a suggestion, you are always responsible for your our prices.

I would suggest that after you get your hourly price that you meet with her and talk. Ask her if she has a budget because you would like to work within that budget, she could possibly give it to you if you sort of act like this is normal, actually, it is. If she won't give it to you then tell her your price.

I would also suggest that you devise a method of 'signing off' each area after it is cleaned with a management person so you have no problem getting paid and on time in this economy.

Good luck, you determine your price per hour. She may ask you for your 'hours' based upon your price Jon, I would give them to her based upon the information that you have presently, as some things may come up later that could cause you to take more time.

Also find out when and how you will get paid, you should officially invoice for your records, hers and the IRS.

I would like to see you get more into daily cleaning, that is where there is more billing, profits and consistency. When you get to the point where you are going to hire employees (Yes, I suggest that you use employees not sub contractors...that could be a problem in the long run) you will need to have enough 'work hours' to keep them, they will leave if their income is not sufficient or not enough hours on a regular basis.

Sorry for any grammar or typing errors, like I said before... it's dragging...

This may get you past tomorrow, good luck,

Stringer
    Business Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon09822 View Post
    Stringer -

I had asked your opinion on the 'subcontracting' aspect, however, I just stumbled on your post about your experience.. It seems more like it could turn more into a headache if anything, so, now, Im definitely going to re-think that whole idea.
    See my last post Jon.

Mar 24, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Ok, I didn't get a chance to read your response yet, but did see where you had mentioned about the rate button. This is not making sense to me, since, I don't see that on the bottom of any of the responses - however, when I post something I see it on the bottom of mine. The only button I see down at the bottom of any other response is 'quote this user' and that's it. There is, again, no 'rate' button to click on - except mine - which, doesn't make much sense to me - Why would I rate myself? Lol
    Business Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Ok, I didnt get a chance to read your response yet, but did see where you had mentioned about the rate button. This is not making sense to me, since, I dont see that on the bottom of any of the responses - however, when I post something I see it on the bottom of mine. The only button I see down at the bottom of any other response is 'quote this user' and thats it. There is, again, no 'rate' button to click on - except mine - which, doesnt make much sense to me - Why would I rate myself? lol

Sorry Jon, I am tired like I said, new members have to have a certain amount of posts to be able to do this... sorry, maybe later after you make more posts... K.

Mar 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Thank you for the information Stringer - I hope that I didn't come across as though I needed you to answer tonight - I probably won't call her back until tomorrow afternoon anyway - I have a lot of running around to do tomorrow morning, but, I appreciate you taking the time to give me the information.

I guess what Im honestly trying to figure out here is that if its only once, quarterly, do you charge more for that or does it matter? I have read where you do because its not cleaned as often so it'll take a bit longer to do, but, then again, on the other hand, its only ONCE a quarter, so, one time charge for that period, as opposed to doing it say, weekly, or monthly, so, would a higher charge be necessary?

I will try to see if I can ask about the budget - perhaps, she will share that with me.

Thanks again - Ill let you know the outcome -

Mar 24, 2009, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Sorry Jon, I am tired like I said, new members have to have a certain amount of posts to be able to do this...sorry, maybe later after you make more posts....K.

Well, I seem to be on a pretty good roll with posting - so hopefully, it'll be soon, lol.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 10:41 PM

Hi, Jon09822!

I'm on right now if you might like to discuss some things concerning advertising and marketing. It would probably be best to start a separate thread about that though since advertising and marketing isn't the subject of your original question.

We can discuss on this thread though, how to title and word the question on the new thread.

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Hi CLOUGH - sorry I didn't back quicker - I was actually getting ready to sign off, but, if you leave how to start on a new thread, I can do that for tomorrow - its late and I need to be up early or I would stay on for a bit longer -
    :)
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 11:03 PM

Okay, I do understand.

I'll think of some ways to do that and post it on this thread.

Thanks!
    Business Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 11:30 PM
    Thank you for the information Stringer - I hope that I didnt come across as though I needed you to answer tonight - I probably wont call her back until tomorrow afternoon anyways - I have alot of running around to do tomorrow morning, but, I appreciate you taking the time to give me the information.

I guess what Im honestly trying to figure out here is that if its only once, quarterly, do you charge more for that or does it matter? I have read where you do because its not cleaned as often so itll take a bit longer to do, but, then again, on the other hand, its only ONCE a quarter, so, one time charge for that period, as opposed to doing it say, weekly, or monthly, so, would a higher charge be necessary?

I will try to see if I can ask about the budget - perhaps, she will share that with me.

Thanks again - Ill let you know the outcome -
    I have never had someone ask for 'quarterly' cleaning Jon, never in over 30 years, strange.

You are correct, anything except nightly cleaning is additional. You can compensate by increasing your hours once you set your hourly rate, add more time to each phase. The longer the time span between the cleanings the more time as trash, dust, dirt, spots, etc accumulate more during this span.

I really want you to search out more 'regular cleaning' such as daily or even weekly. We do no clean anything less than 5 days per week, some are 6 and 7 days per week.

This work is less trouble, more profitable and actually easier... 'sweat to reward'... this work is out there and is the norm... you have to set your mind to it.

Stringer
    Business Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Jon09822!

I'm on right now if you might like to discuss some things concerning advertising and marketing. It would probably be best to start a separate thread about that though since advertising and marketing isn't the subject of your original question.

We can discuss on this thread though, how to title and word the question on the new thread.

Thanks!
    Morning my friend, how are you this rainy night?

Clough, possibly we could remain on this thread.. otherwise Jon will be bouncing back and forth between the two threads and that may be a little confusing, what do you think?:)

Night for now it's 1:30 am and I too have to get up at 6 am tomorrow.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial office cleaning bidding [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for HelP? I have a bid to get in on a 6000 sq ft office area, there are 15 offices and about 7 restrooms toilet and sink only. A breakroom and vending area along with mechanical room with a few other miscellaneous rooms. Most of the area is carpet. This contract calls for 3 times weekly,...

Uninstalling Office 2007 and Installing Office 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new Dell with a Vista system. It also came pre loaded with Office 2007. My problem is: I do contracting work at home and Office 2007 is not compatible with the software they use so I must install Office 2003 to continue to work. If I go to the add/remove programs in my...

Office 2007 asks for Office 2000 installation discs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I used to run Office 2000 but uninstalled it and installed Office 2007. When I run the Spell Checker it does not function. When I try to run it, The computer tries to install it and then asks for the Office 2000 Installation disks. I insert the Office 2000 disks but then it...

View more questions Search